Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Fake Support Scam

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bloodyserb

Bloodyserb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

I have a user, who while not senile has problems with her memory.  The biggest problem is she keeps falling for the fake MS support scam, because she can't remember having fallen for it six months earlier.  I can take care of it easily enough by running the system recovery off an install disk and rolling the computer back to a date before they PW locked the computer.  What I'm hoping is that someone can help me out with is a way to prevent them from getting in in the first place.  All my scans came up clean and Supremo was removed the last time, and a week later they had locked her computer again.  So I guess I missed something, or she fell for it again and forgot.  Is there some service or something I can turn off in order to lock them out for good?

Thanks,

B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

Tech Support Scamming using browser pop-up alerts with phony telephone numbers from "so-called Support Techs" advising your computer is infected with malware has become an increasing common and prolific scam tactic over the past several years. You may want to read “Your PC Is Infected” Round-up… by Chris Boyd at the Malwarebytes Security Blog.

Closing the web browser and then relaunching it usually eliminates the bogus warning message and is the best way to deal with these scams. If the browser freezes or hangs, you may have to close it with Windows Task Manager by selecting End Task.

This is typically the reason security scanners do not find any malware on the computer after encountering these types of scams.

If the scam involves unsolicited phone calls from someone claiming to be an employee affiliated with Microsoft or Windows Support advising your computer is infected with malware, not answering any questions and hanging up the telephone is the best way to deal with phone scammers...then report them to the appropriate authorities. Keep in mind, that there have been reports of scammers claiming to be affiliated with major computer manufacturers such as Hewlett Packard, Lenovo and Dell or familiar security vendors like Symantec, Panda and McAfee. Deal with them the same way....hang up the telephone.

You can teach the user the above but if they have a memory problem, that may not help either.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users