Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mistakenly let a foreign tech person remote into my pc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pansy

Pansy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

On December 17 my husband and  I made the mistake of letting a tech person who called remote into my pc. I can't believe we fell for the scam but we did. We didn't give out our credit card information. He was mad when we asked that he stop the remote process. Later the next day we could not log on to the pc. There was a funny screen asking for a password - somebody later told us it was a "hive" password. We took the box to the computer repair shop in town that we have used. They removed the hive password. They recommended "F Secure" security program so we bought that. My daughter advised we change the IP address. We went on the chat line with  Verizon - they said Verizon has a secure IP address and didn't seem concerned but explained several ways to change it.  They said it's more important to change the WIFI password - the password we use to connect to the home wireless router. I think he meant the first password we use to log on to the computer. 

We have Windows 10, 

Verizon said I could check the IP by doing ""whatismyipaddress.com".  They also said you cannot have the same static IP address all the time. 

They said we could change it ... they described two ways to do this: 

a)  Disconnecting all wires to the router.... Then wait 4 hours..... Then reconnect......The IP address should now be changed

B)   they said alternatively we could break the DHCP release from within our router, type in a particular  web address in the web browser..  They gave us a default username and default password. They said to click on "My Network" ( up top) and then click on "Network Connections" ( on left side).  Click on "Broadband Connection (coaxial)" and click on the Settings button at the bottom of the  page.  Look for "DHCP Release:" on this page,  There will be a RENEW and a RELEASE button next to it.  To release the router's IP address:  click on the RELEASE button.  To renew the router's WAN IP: click on RENEW

My question is should we change the IP address? Is one way better than the other way?  Do you think we should do that on a regular basis ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

First, place a "security freeze" on your credit file at all four major credit bureaus. Your best protection against someone opening new credit accounts in your name is the security freeze (also known as the credit freeze), not the often-offered, under-achieving "credit monitoring". More info here: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/11/report-everyone-should-get-a-security-freeze/.

Using a known-clean computer, change ALL of your passwords, on everything. All of your hardware, (routers, modems, computers), network, email, financial sites, bank accounts, shopping sites, credit card accounts, utility accounts, etc., etc. Make a list of everything and start checking them off as you get them all changed.

Back your personal data files on your potentially compromised computer, then wipe the hard drive, reinstall Windows, get all of the available Windows updates and then restore your backed up data.

Now you can worry about occasionally changing the IP address if you like.

To keep from having to go through all of this ever again, get into the habit of backing up your computer at least once a month. (Something like Macrium Reflect Free works well).

Edited by SpywareDoc, 27 December 2015 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users