Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Backup Files Without Infecting USB?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ComPewTur

ComPewTur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

I believe my computer has a virus, and so...

How do I backup files (pictures and documents) without infecting the usb?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

Boot your computer from a Live USB (or CD/DVD) and then back up your data files to a USB drive.

A "Live" USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, this OS loads into, and then runs from the computer's memory instead of booting from the OS on your hard drive. This allows you to run a different OS without installing it or making any changes to your computer's current configuration.

To create one of these, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin, then use something like Rufus to burn that ISO file to a USB key/flash drive

Now boot your computer from this USB key/flash drive and your computer will be running the OS on it instead of the one on your hard drive.

When you're done, simply remove the USB key/flash drive and reboot your PC from the hard drive.

By the way, create this Live USB (or better yet, a Live CD/DVD) from a known-clean, never-infected computer.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 27 December 2015 - 07:19 PM.

#3 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:50 PM

Hi,

I'm interested in doing this same thing. The drive needs to be setup so that the OS such as Ubuntu is already installed on it, not just bootable correct?

Also, how does this keep the file from spreading to the USB/flash drive?

#4 Houdini5150

Houdini5150

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

Its a live CD...

Runs off the memory... 

#5 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Hi,

I have a brand new 1 TB usb drive that I am interested in putting an active version of Ubuntu on. I used Win Toolkit to prepare the usb and I copied the extracted ISO files to the drive. Are these steps correct, or do I need to do something different to make it so that the drive is a live install instead of just a bootable drive?

I just want to make sure that Ubuntu isn't trying to install over my Windows 7.

Edited by huntsin2, 18 January 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#6 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

Ok, so I tried booting from the external hard drive after reading that you could choose to try Ubuntu instead of installing it. I assume this means that one could then use the external hard drive to back up files. I ended up getting,

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

So I was doing a little research online and I am having a hard time finding a tutorial or guide that is simple and straight forward; at least for Ubuntu.

Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users