Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Validating XP Pro 32bit Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

I have been running my XP Pro for about 15 years, but having upgraded my computer I decided to do a clean install even given the problems that involves since Microsoft stopped supporting XP. The installation went quite easily and everything is working fine.

However, I ran up against one problem, that of my WMP 8 being too old. I was instructed to download WMP 11 which I did. After installing it, it wanted me to validate my copy of Windows.

I am now told that my XP is not genuine. A Google search quickly told me I am just one of hundreds of people facing this same problem. Most of them saying its just a con trick to get you to pay out $99, and that you have threaten Microsoft in some way to get them to fix it for you. One person said that Microsoft themselves tried installing one of own genuine copies and came up against the same problem.

So my question is, has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

If you installed the WGA update it may have determined that your XP was not genuine when it actually is. You can remove that update with this tool. This doesn't defeat activation. It only removes the WGA notification update that phones home every time you start XP. If that does not work then reinstall XP and don't install WMP11. Install VLC.player.

When you update XP make sure you do not download the WGA notification update.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/removewga.html

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:02 PM

Already knew about that problem so made sure that the WGA update was not installed. It comes as optional now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

I have done clean installs of XP, SP3 earlier this year...with no problems.  So, I don't subscribe to the "plot theory" of computer using :).

A simple phone call to Microsoft should have been able to resolve this.  And, for some time now, to install various MS properties, it's been normal for a validation request to be asked for before downloading said program.

You state that you "upgraded" your computer...if your computer is an OEM system, a change of the motherboard would be viewed by Microsoft as a different system and that may account for the stated message.  If that's the case...again, a simple phone call to MS should take care of it.  I hardly think that anyone is interested in pursuing a legitimate customer for installing XP (any version) on a system reflecting changed motherboard, etc.  I've done so myself and not had a problem with telephonic communication and activation.

Louis

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

I'm afraid I do subscribe to the "plot theory". If not, why have Microsoft not done anything to correct the problem in the last 5 years that I alone know about. There has to be some good reason why they don't, and one good reason could be that they are convincing a lot of gullible customers into believing they really have been sold a fake copy and getting them to spend more money to have it put right.

Oh and by the way, the Google search I did that took me to this theory was to Microsoft's own Community site where the problem has been discussed for years. So Microsoft cannot say they are unaware of the existence of this problem.

Anyway, I do intend to give them a call when I get up in the morning, but this is not the first time I have experienced this problem. Back in 2011 I had the same thing happen with the Windows 7 on my laptop. I called Microsoft and they insisted that it was not a genuine copy and did nothing more than ask me to spend more money. Last year I reinstalled that very same Windows 7 and they validated it without any problem at all. We are not talking about newly acquired installation disks here but operating systems that I had been using for donkeys years and everything was fine until they started downloading that WGA update.

As for it being my computer upgrade. No its not that. Yes I did replace the motherboard, also the processor, memory and GPU, and yes I was asked to reactivate Windows. But that went ahead without an hitch, and I have been using the system for over six months since then. It was not until yesterday when I wanted to record and watch a video made using a newly installed CamStudio that I was told my WMP was too old and came up against this problem.

All I can say is that Microsoft have definitely got a screwed up validating system and its time they did something about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users