Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA3 compatibility and video upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ElfN

ElfN

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

It's that time of year again . . . computer update time.  I do something every year and this year's list of things to update include motherboard, cpu, memory and video card (s).  I need a good gaming board and am leaning toward MSI's Z170a gaming m5 as my starting point.

I'm currently running three 10k rev SATA drives.  I've had these for years and they're nice solid drives.  Am I going to have any compatibility issues with SATA3?  The Western Digital is the oldest of the lot.

ST31000528AS (1000.20 GB)
ST3160811AS (160.04 GB)
WDC WD360GD-00FNA0 (37.02 GB)

Is there now a solid state drive that doesn't require fiddling to get up and working?  I'd like to have my game on an SSD.  My drives are fast but I'd like to get away from the spin-up access.

I am currently running 2 monitors, an HDMI hi-res TV for my gaming and a 19' flatscreen for everything else.  They're both running on the same card and I'd like to split them out in my new build to improve the speed and quality of my game display.

Comments?  Suggestions?  Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

SATA is supposed to be backwards compatible & you can certainly use SATA 3 drives on  SATA 2 controllers. I'm contemplating a similar Z170 based upgrade myself & will be expecting my existing SATA 2 drives to work on the new SATA 3 controllers. (can you even buy a SATA 3 optical drive??)

I have a Crucial solid state drive (a couple of years old) & it required no fiddling - just fit it & install an operating system (no extra drivers required) & away you go. I would not expect any other SSDs to be any different.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

Old build? Budget?

That terabyte drive should have no problems with SATA3. 160GB should also work fine. That 40GB drive is PATA drive with SATA bridge, there may be some problems.

#4 ElfN

ElfN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

The WD has always been my system drive.  I don't put anything but the system on it so I can just reformat and start over if things get wonky.  I can drop it from my set easily so thanks much for the heads up.

#5 ElfN

ElfN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

Old build? Budget?

I'm trying to stick close to the $800 mark this year.  In addition to the things I've listed I think I'm going to need a bigger PSU.  I have to look at what's in the case before I'll know for sure.  I can't remember and Belarc Advisor doesn't give me PSU.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:38 PM

If you are trading out your CPU and motherboard, don't forget to budget some money for a new copy of Microsoft.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

"If you are trading out your CPU and motherboard, don't forget to budget some money for a new copy of Microsoft." - if you are currently using an OEM copy of Windows - but if you've got a retail copy/key then this will not be required.

#8 ElfN

ElfN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

I'm running xp pro and have the disk so I'm okay there. 

#9 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

I suspect you may have major problems trying to get XP to run on a Z170 motherboard as there will be no drivers - it's a bit fiddly to get Windows 7 installed on them. So I think you will be needing a new Windows after all.

#10 ElfN

ElfN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

I've got a Win 8 I can use.  I'm dragging my heels trying to slow play the Win 10 install.

#11 ElfN

ElfN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

In reading the NewEgg forum on this board I can see there are some issues I'll need to prepare for.  I'll make a Win8 startup stick with the USB3 drivers.  Anything else I should watch for?

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:07 AM

I thought the USB install stick with USB3 drivers requirement was for Windows 7 only, & that 8 or 10 would install OK from standard install media.

I am not aware of any other particular problems - I 'll know better after I've tried it - I've only ordered RAM & CPU heat sink & some trivial bits so far, although the case has been emptied ready for the new bits (I'll be wanting to install 7 before updating to 10 a bit later)

Edited by rqt, 28 December 2015 - 04:13 AM.

#13 ElfN

ElfN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:40 AM

I thought the USB install stick with USB3 drivers requirement was for Windows 7 only, & that 8 or 10 would install OK from standard install media.

One of the posters on the NewEgg forum for the referenced mobo mentioned no mouse or keyboard because of lack of drivers on Win8.

I have a tentative bundle pulled together.  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zCJkxr

#14 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

I'm planning to use my old hard drives for a while, hoping that M.2 PCI-e interface SSDs get more common & therefore cheaper.  I'm also planning on an i5-6600K - I know it's a little more expensive - but not that much extra on the total build cost & I'm expecting it to (have to)  last for a while.

#15 ElfN

ElfN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

hoping that M.2 PCI-e interface SSDs get more common & therefore cheaper

Yeah, I danced that dance as well.  Because the mobo has two native slots for M.2 SSD I want to start with one to hold just system and programs.  As all programs are currently residing (with the exception of WoW) on a 36g drive (the oldest of my 10k rev SATAs) 128g should be sufficient.  The Transcend SSD has both a reasonable price and good user ratings so I'm leaning that way.  I will get my base system set with my two big SATA as storage another SSD added as prices drop.  WoW is the only big program I run and I can move it to a new and bigger SSD in the future.  At this point, that's the plan.

The new video is a mid-range model that gets good ratings and should let me split out my feed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users