Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PAINFULLY SLOW browsing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lfab

lfab

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

My web browsing is painfully slow  Help!

History:

PC purchased 6 months within the past year for my wife's small company by her partner.  It came with Windows 8 and was upgraded to 8.1.   Had a few programs installed.  Her partner left the company and we now have the PC.  It performs well except web browsing.  Page loads are extremely slow.  I did the Windows 10 upgrade and it only got worse.  I can't find the problem.

HP Desktop

AMD E2-2000 APU processor 1.75 GHz

6 gig Ram

64 bit

500 gig HD

AMD Radeon 7430 HD video adapter 

To give you my level of expertise....I am fairly good with computers.  Far from an IT tech but I do keep 4 PCs running well.  I have replaced video cards, sound cards, a HD and have a fairly decent home network set up with file sharing and wireless printing.

Things I have done:

Scanned the PC with Norton which came on the computer...no viruses or malware found.

Removed Norton from the PC and installed AVG and scanned the computer...no viruses or malware found. 

Installed and ran Malwarebytes...no malware found.

Installed and tried every browser..IE, Chrome, Firefox and all were bad.

Went to AMD site and updated the graphics card driver. 

Check all other drivers, no updates needed.

Did a factory reset (complete) back to Windows 8...installed 181 Windows update...still had browsing problem.  Upgraded to 8.1....still problem.

Ran speedtest.net on this PC and I fly at >50 mps.

I turned off all anti-virus and turned off the firewall (before and after the factory reset) but did not help.

Have tried this computer on LAN and wireless and there is no difference...both very bad. 

Other facts:

I have 50 mps TWC Roadrunner service.  It works very WELL.  I have another desktop and 3 laptops in the house and all FLY on the internet.  I ran  speedtest on all devices and all have >50 mps.  Pages load very fast on all other computers.

I am very careful with all 4 of my PCs and have never had a virus.  I can't speak for this computer for the 6 months it was in my wife's partner's house, but for the 2 months that we have had it, I can't imagine it got a virus here.  Ran scans and found nothing though. Plus, did the factory reset.

The computer is for the kids to use for school.  PC works great for everything but web browsing.  If the kids work on it (e.g. writing a school paper) they do the searches on their phones instead of the PC.

Can someone else suggest something to do?  Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:08 PM

Have you checked for a network adapter driver update?

#3 lfab

lfab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:54 PM

Thanks Phantom010.  Both my network and wireless card drivers did need updating and I did and then restarted the computer...but...no better.

I use ESPN and Foxnews as my bench marks because I do visit each a few times a day.  On this computer it takes 20-30 seconds to fully load the page (all the content and adds) until I am able to scroll down the page.  On my laptop from work (HP Windows 7) it takes 2-5 seconds to load these pages and then scroll.  Smart phones load pages fast.  My old desktop (Vista dinosaur that I keep running so I can keep my old faithful laser jet printer available to all users on my wifi network) is very fast compared to this PC.  I have two other laptops that are fast as well.  Definitely know it is not my broadband service and definitely know it is something wrong on this PC.

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

Is browsing any better in Safe Mode with Networking?

#5 lfab

lfab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

Definitely much better, not as fast as my laptop, but much better.

What is not running in safe mode that could be causing this?

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:15 AM

Perhaps a Clean Boot troubleshooting procedure might help you isolate the culprit. Run it for both Services and Startup items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users