Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable SSD for Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 n2coffee

n2coffee

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

Christmas morning came and went, leaving me with a SSD to install on my computer. Yay!

I used the recommended software (Acronis True Image) to clone my HD (to SSD via USB) and after a few tries, everything worked.

Still leery because of the sketchy cloning process, I wanted to try booting the SSD to see how the system performed, so I changed my BIOS settings and waited anxiously but the system would not boot from the SSD.

Can someone help me with making the SSD bootable so I can try it out and eventually replace my 7 year old HD. The last time I this stuff I had to add an Autoexec.bat file somewhere, evidently they are long gone.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:04 AM

You stated that everything worked in your second sentence.  Did this mean that the system booted to Windows from the SSD?  Or was it just that the Acronis software appeared to finish successfully?

Have you disconnected the old HDD?

Have you connected the SSD?

Have you reset the boot defaults in the BIOS/UEFI to use the SSD?

Newer versions of Windows don't use autoexec.bat any more.

Edited by usasma, 27 December 2015 - 10:05 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

I'm not sure about Acronis, what I did was use Norton Ghost because I am familiar with it. I booted to the USB Drive (with Ghost installed on the USB Drive), then selected the source drive, the destination drive and selected Clone Disk to Disk.

To make it faster, the SSD was in the computer, hooked to one of the SATA ports. 

Switched drives and everything worked. 

#4 n2coffee

n2coffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

You stated that everything worked in your second sentence.  Did this mean that the system booted to Windows from the SSD?  Or was it just that the Acronis software appeared to finish successfully?

Have you disconnected the old HDD?

Have you connected the SSD?

Have you reset the boot defaults in the BIOS/UEFI to use the SSD?

Newer versions of Windows don't use autoexec.bat any more.

• Have not disconnected the old HDD
  • SSD is connected via USB all files appear to have populated
  • Have reset the BIOS to boot from USB

Figured Autoexec.bat was no longer used. When I try to boot from USB I get the error: "OOPs unbootable device" so I thought I may need to partition a boot sector on the SSD but don't know how. Would partitioning a boot sector on the SSD cause it not to work when I mount it internally?

Thanks

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:07 AM

Didn't the SSD come with its own cloning program?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 n2coffee

n2coffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

I'm not sure about Acronis, what I did was use Norton Ghost because I am familiar with it. I booted to the USB Drive (with Ghost installed on the USB Drive), then selected the source drive, the destination drive and selected Clone Disk to Disk.

To make it faster, the SSD was in the computer, hooked to one of the SATA ports. 

Switched drives and everything worked. 

Did the SSD make your system faster? I am reluctant to install the SSD so I wanted to see if it would boot before removing HDD...also was thinking about doing a fresh install of W10. Proof that I am a glutton for punishment. :deadhorse: 

#7 n2coffee

n2coffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

Didn't the SSD come with its own cloning program?

Yes. Acronis True Image but the features are limited

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

I believe the Samsung disk I have is also a version of the same, worked perfectly twice when new and when I got hit with a bug.  I would install it good chance it is fine just not happy on the cable.

Phil

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

Hi N2coffee,

You need to remove the HDD and install the SSD for the clone to work, it will not boot properly from the USB.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

The drives will conflict - and they won't boot off of USB.

Remove the old drive from the system.

Insert the new drive in it's place

Ensure that the system BIOS/UEFI is set to boot from the SSD (it should be, but check to be sure anyway).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 n2coffee

n2coffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:58 AM

Thanks to all for your assistance. I 'm afraid that my post was not clear. I wanted to boot from the SSD before installing it so I could measure performance before I installed it internally

I fixed the problem by going into the disk management console and assigning the SSD drive a letter and changing the BIOS accordingly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo8krAJd5Q

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:32 AM

Through put will be quite different when hooked to the board, I don't think even USB3 can pass data as quick.  I will run its fastest installed by a fair margin.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

I'm glad you were able to get it to work.

"Nothing succeeds like success!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users