Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rami1

Rami1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:15 AM

Hi,

I have an issue where my mouse and keyboard where they have their light lit up and plugged in but they dont work when windows launches, they work in the bios and system recovery though. I cant restore my computer because I get an error everytime I try to. Ive tried disabling/enabling legacy and xHci in the bios but Ive had no luck. And I cant really get a ps2 keyboard. Is there any way I can solve this without resetting my computer. I have access to the bios and system recovery mode only. Safe mode dosent seem to help because my mouse and keyboard still dont respond even though they are on and connected.

Edited by Rami1, 27 December 2015 - 06:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 awesomearc

awesomearc

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:34 AM

Have you tried using another mouse/keyboard?

Also, try using the current mouse/keyboard on another machine to see if it causes issues.

From what you described, it sounds like Windows cannot read the drivers for your mouse and/or keyboard and therefore, it cannot understand the input.

EDIT: The topic's title is unrelated.

Edited by awesomearc, 27 December 2015 - 06:38 AM.

Usually, I do not get online before 1:00 PM or after 10:00 PM (my local time).

So, if I do not reply to a thread where I am currently active, make sure you check my local time to see if it's time for me to be online or not. :)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

EDIT: The topic's title is unrelated.

They are using a USB keyboard and mouse.  I would certainly think this topic is USB related.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:04 PM

Rami1

What operating system are you using?

What is the make and model of this computer?

If you've determined that the mouse and keyboard working on another computer try using different USB ports.  The Universal Serial Bus has drivers for all of the different ports.

If you can get the mouse operating you can turn on the On Screen Keyboard and use it to troubleshoot the drivers in the Device Manager.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Tabeer

Tabeer

• Banned Spammer
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:49 AM

@Rami1, Sometimes ports create issues with mouse and usb. have you tried un-plug and plug-in mouse usb 2 to 3 times. maybe it is effected in this case.

Edited by Tabeer, 28 December 2015 - 03:50 AM.

#6 Rami1

Rami1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

I have windows 8.1
I have a custom built desktop
Ive tried reconnecting them to different usb slots but Ive had no luck, other keyboards and mice dont work either.

My specs are:
GPU: geforce gtx 980ti
Mobo: Asus maximus hero VII
Ram: Corsair dominator 16gb
Cpu: intel core i5 4690k
2 samsung evo ssd's
Wd 1tb drive
Nzxt kraken x41 cooler
My keyboard is razer deathstalker
And my mouse is razer mamba TE
If you need any more info just ask

#7 Rami1

Rami1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

I should also mention that the the problem started after I downloaded a program which was safe as I had an antivirus and I got a blue screen with an error saying it will restart my pc (I dont remember the error message unfortunately) and after it restarted I've had the problem ever since.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:40 PM

It sounds like your USB drivers or some other system file(s) became corrupted. When in System Recovery is there an option to do a System Refresh? The down side is after a Refresh you would need to reinstall any programs. Windows apps from the store would still be functional.

#9 Rami1

Rami1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:54 PM

The options I have are the following:

Refresh your pc - which says I have to have a windows recovery media

Sustem Restore - which gives me the error "system restore did not complete successfully (0x80070057)"

Reset your pc - which is the last thing I will resort to if I cant find another solution because it will wipe out all my files

Start-up repair - which just says it couldnt repair my pc

Command prompt - which I dont know what to do with

Startup settings which gives me the option to startup with:
-low resolution mode
-debugging mode
-boot logging
-safe mode
-disable driver signature enforcement
-disable early launch anti malware protection
-disable automatic restart on system failure

Those are all the options I have in system recovery
Ive tried the system restore, startup repair, safe mode, and refreshing my pc.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

I am assuming you have a Windows 8.1 install disk if you tried doing a refresh. Do you need to recover data from the drive?

#11 Rami1

Rami1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

I dont have the disk i simply pressed a reset button on my pc which restarts my pc and lets me access the recovery mode. And yes I need the data from my drives.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

I would first create a Windows 8.1 install disk. You can download the Creation Tool here. Select the same version you currently are using. See this page and look for the heading

Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8/8.1 installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc

Do a Refresh, not Reset. You will still need to reinstall your programs.

If recovering your data is a priority then download Fatdog64 linux. Fatdog64-701.iso Burn the iso to a DVD or you can create a bootable USB using Rufus. If you have SecureBoot enabled in UEFI disable it. You may need to enable Legacy Boot. If you use a Windows live account to login to the computer, it's possible the data is encrypted and you will not be able to copy to an external drive using Fatdog.

Once you get to the Fatdog desktop you will see your partitions in the left corner labeled sda1...sda2...etc. Your Windows partition may be labeled sda3 but the way Windows does it's partitioning it could be something else. Click once on sda3, the partition will mount and a File Manager will open. If you do not see your Windows files close out the File Manager and try another sda partition. Attach a USB external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager will open. Move the Windows of your Windows partition and USB drive until they are side by side. Highlight any files you need by holding Ctrl + left clicking or by windowing around the files/folders. Drag the highlighted files from your Windows File Manager to your USB File Manager. A small dialog window will appear asking if you want to copy or move. Select copy and click the Quiet box. Your files should be copied over.

I am assuming your USB problem is software related. Your mouse and keyboard should work fine using Fatdog.

#13 Rami1

Rami1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

The problem is my pc dosen't have a disc bay installed but I could possibly get an external cd bay but that would need to he connected to my usb port which loops back to the issue I have. If fatdog uses windows to work then there might be an issue because at the moment nothing work ins my usb slots not just my keyboard and mouse. So does fatdog work only if windows is loaded if not tgen I can head out and buy an external cd drive.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:38 PM

Fatdog does not use Windows. It is linux based. When I mentioned Windows I was talking about the Windows in Fatdog. If you do not have a optical disk then use Rufus with the iso files to create a bootable flash drive. If your keyboard and mouse work in UEFI before Windows loads then they should work when Fatdog loads from the USB flash drive.

Run Rufus. Make sure your Flash drive is in the first box. Select MBR partition scheme. Allow Quick Format. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Click on the folder icon and browse to the downloaded iso file. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive. If creating a Windows 8.1 bootable flash drive select GPT for the partition scheme.

Asus should have a boot menu you can access to allow selection of the boot device. It may be F12 but check your MB manual.

Edit: Make sure your bootable USB flash drive is in the USB2.0 port and not a USB3.0 port that is labeled blue. I believe you posted you tried all ports but have you tried attaching your mouse and keyboard to the USB2 ports and not the blue USB3 ports?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 December 2015 - 04:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users