Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows detected a hard disk problem" error message

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 clefty123

clefty123

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:16 AM

Hello, I am receiving this message when turning on my laptop:

213f0ic.png

It just started appearing today.

I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E550 i7-5500U 15.6-inch 16GB 500GB SSD AMD Radeon R7 M260 Full HD Windows 7 Pro Business Laptop Computer.

I bought it new 6 months ago but just started using it 2 months ago.  It was very expensive so this error message I'm receiving is troubling.

I google'd and read people saying this is not an actual error message from Windows but its a virus.  I ran both Malwarebytes and ESET 9 virus scan and both programs did not find anything.  I also tried running Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking.  I've also right clicked both C: and Q: hard drives, clicked Properties>Tools and checked for errors on both.  It did not find any errors.

I have backed up all my files onto an external hard drive.

So I really need help.  I don't know if the hard drive actually has a problem and needs replaced or if a virus/malware is causing this popup.  Somebody please help me, thank you.

EDIT: I also just downloaded hdtune because I read about it on another site when I google'd this problem.

When I click the "Health" tab within the problem this is what shows:

ofvsyo.png

And when I click the red part listed, this is what shows:

2db2dqv.png

I don't know if that helps or not.  I will now not attempt anything else until I receive some help here, thank you.

Edited by clefty123, 27 December 2015 - 05:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:22 AM

The computer is under warranty...right?  So, that is where you need to go for help...the manufacturer Lenovo.

I think the Windows message is legit. Scam messages would ask you to contact the scammer by phone, etc.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 clefty123

clefty123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

The computer is under warranty...right?  So, that is where you need to go for help...the manufacturer Lenovo.

I think the Windows message is legit. Scam messages would ask you to contact the scammer by phone, etc.

I will go ahead and do that.  Thanks.  Do you think its probable the hard drive will completely fail within the next few days/week(if you know anything about this)?

Edited by clefty123, 27 December 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

"...I will go ahead and do that.  Thanks.  Do you think its probable the hard drive will completely fail within the next few days/week(if you know anything about this)?"

My experiences as a computer phone tech support person tells me:  yes!  certainly any HD can fail [*] right out of the chute, that's what warranty is for.  Were you able to make full-image backups of both SysReserved partition [if it exsits], manufacturer's recovery partition, your OS partition and your data partition?  If yes, you can restore all partitions onto your replacement HD, or, you can accept the factor roll-out, either way, you should be good to go.  [*] can be hours, days, weeks, months, nobody knows for sure.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 clefty123

clefty123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:10 PM

"...I will go ahead and do that.  Thanks.  Do you think its probable the hard drive will completely fail within the next few days/week(if you know anything about this)?"

My experiences as a computer phone tech support person tells me:  yes!  certainly any HD can fail [*] right out of the chute, that's what warranty is for.  Were you able to make full-image backups of both SysReserved partition [if it exsits], manufacturer's recovery partition, your OS partition and your data partition?  If yes, you can restore all partitions onto your replacement HD, or, you can accept the factor roll-out, either way, you should be good to go.  [*] can be hours, days, weeks, months, nobody knows for sure.

Well, I don't know about all that "SysReserved partition [if it exsits], manufacturer's recovery partition, your OS partition and your data partition".  But I did click the "Start the backup process" in the screenshot and went through the process.  It transferred everything onto an external HD and took over 2 hours.  So I hope that's all I needed to do.  Like I said I've only been using this computer for a few months and don't have too much important things on it, so if it does fail and I lost everything, it wouldn't be that huge of a deal.

Edited by clefty123, 27 December 2015 - 09:10 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:19 PM

You're good to go, to the manufacturer!  Keep us posted as to how things turn out   :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 clefty123

clefty123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:18 PM

You're good to go, to the manufacturer!  Keep us posted as to how things turn out   :)

Hi, I'm getting ready to send the laptop in for repair this week but I have a problem.

The message popped up last night but I accidentally clicked "Do not ask me about this problem again(not recommended)" or something similar right when it popped up.  That option appears below the two options in this picture:

213f0ic.png

The option isn't shown in the above picture because the "Do not ask me again..." option appears only after the message has popped up a few times.

Well anyway I accidentally clicked the option for the warning popup not to show anymore.  And now the message is not appearing anymore.  But I was not trying for that to happen.  I need the popup message to keep appearing as I am sending the laptop in for repair this week.  Can you please help me to get the popup to appear again?  I hope you understand and can help.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

Control Panel  --> Action Center -- amongst the many choices up in thar, one of them will bring up hardware messages.

#9 clefty123

clefty123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

Control Panel  --> Action Center -- amongst the many choices up in thar, one of them will bring up hardware messages.

I don't really understand the end of your reply.

Inside Action Center, this is what I see:

3313sl0.png

I don't know where to go from there.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

I have Windows 7 Pro; CTL-PNL --> Action Center --> Maintenance; I had that whole section turned off for some time now, so I'm guessing hard-drive problems will be messaged to you under the banner of either Backup/Restore or System Maintenance.  I'm not recognizing your Windows version; looks like part of Action Center is "below" the picture.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 January 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#11 clefty123

clefty123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

I have Windows 7 Pro; CTL-PNL --> Action Center --> Maintenance; I had that whole section turned off for some time now, so I'm guessing hard-drive problems will be messaged to you under the banner of either Backup/Restore or System Maintenance.  I'm not recognizing your Windows version; looks like part of Action Center is "below" the picture.

I apologize but I really don't understand this reply. :(

I don't know if you understand what my current problem is.  I set up a repair with Lenovo since the laptop is under warranty.  But, the other night when that error message popped up, I accidentally clicked "Do not show this popup again...".  I accidentally disabled the error message popup, but I want it enabled so when I send my laptop in for repair they can see the error message.

I also have Windows 7 Professional.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

You're trying to get that particular message to come up for the warranty repair service tech.  I got it, I simply pointed to the only message-generating center I know of:  Action Center.  However, you may very well be right -- Action Center just may not be the right place to bring back that pop-up.

#13 clefty123

clefty123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

You're trying to get that particular message to come up for the warranty repair service tech.  I got it, I simply pointed to the only message-generating center I know of:  Action Center.  However, you may very well be right -- Action Center just may not be the right place to bring back that pop-up.

So are you unable to help me to get the message to reappear?

I did go through these steps:

http://www.avoiderrors.net/disable-windows-detected-hard-disk-problem-message/

But instead of setting it to "disabled" I set it to "enabled".  But that did not make the message reappear so I reverted it back to the original setting.

And, will the message no longer appearing be a problem when I send the laptop in for repair?  Or will they be able to fix/repair my laptop hard disk problem without the message appearing?

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

Yes to all three of your questions; simply give the repair shop a printout [black and white is fine] of the error; and let them go from there  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users