Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 abbafan1972

abbafan1972

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:26 AM

When I switch on my dell dimension pc it is relatively quiet, but when it's been on for about an hour the hard drive gets very noisy, like the fan is doing overtime.

It seems to have coincided with this recent heatwave we have been getting lately, but can't be 100% certain of that.

The hard drive doesn't feel hot or anything. It is in an enclosed part of the desk with a door on the front.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Ps. computer is about 18 months old.
Windows XP Home SP2, Firefox 1.5.0.4, Thunderbird 1.5.0.4, Avast! anti-virus, Sygate firewall, Spybot, Adaware SE.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:40 AM

Is it a fan making the noise - or the hard drive? (hard drives usually do not have fans)

Try pulling the computer out from the enclosed space - it may not be getting enough ventilation.

If it is the hard drive making the noise - backup all your data as a lot of noise from the hard drive means that it may fail at any time.

Make sure you have the disk/s necessary to reinstall Windows XP - if you do not have a Windows XP disk that came with your computer, contact Dell support and get one asap.
Make sure you have your 25 digit Windows Key number which you will need if you have to reinstall Windows.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:43 AM

I have a 1 year old Dell. It lets me know what the room temp is. The quietest it runs is when the room temp is below 74 degrees. 2 degrees above that the fans sound like a 747 on takeoff. I use Everest to check temp and it is always 93 degrees and never varies.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:34 AM

Hi abbafan1972 , I followed the instructions in the tutorial Cleaning the Interior of your PC and my Dell ran alot quieter afterwards.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 percypape

percypape

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:09 PM

TMack, Good Call! This is the best, most thorough interior cleaning tutorial. I e-mailed it to everyone I know. My pc is only 6 months old but I live on a busy highway (lots of dust/dirt flying in the window) and there was more to clean out of her than I would have thought. (T.V. commercial stance): :thumbsup: THANKS, Bleepingcomputer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users