Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grub 2 Multiboot Super USB

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Night Train

Night Train

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:04 AM

Well, the title says it all. I'm attempting to create a multipurpose AIO USB stick for everyday use. So far I've been able to get Mint, Tails, And Hiren's boot cd all successfully working off of one device similar to the tutorial found here:

http://dann.com.br/grub2-multiboot-usb-linux-mint-tails-and-hirens-boot-cd-luks-encrypted-partition/

However, I'm running into trouble adding Windows 10 to this list. I've done some research but have yet to find a suitable solution for Windows 10.

Is there anyway to add a menuentry to the grub.cfg in order to make this work, or is there a more detailed solution.

I've managed to get the iso to boot using the following menu entry:

set root=(hd0,msdos5) #this may be different based on which partition the iso files are currently on
    insmod ntldr
    ntldr /bootmgr
The only problem is once I choose "install" the following error occurs:

A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB
    or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it,
    please insert it now.

So somehow it can't properly read the files after it starts the setup process.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:18 AM

Try Yumi.

I have all my common images and boot disks on a single 32gb USB with it. Very handy.

#3 Night Train

Night Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

Try Yumi.

I have all my common images and boot disks on a single 32gb USB with it. Very handy.

After some tinkering I was actually able to get this working with Yumi. Thanks a lot!

I have a secondary question that may require another thread. Now that truecrypt is gone, is there another way to create an encrypted volume or folder that can be opened on multiple platforms?

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Now that truecrypt is gone,

Truecrypt is still safe to use.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

Spot on Nick. The encryption algorithms in Truecrypt are a long way from being broken.

That being said there are a handful of vulnerabilities that have been fixed in an offshoot project of Truecrypt, named Veracrypt. I am unsure if the created volumes are are multi-platform accessible. I would assume so, though no Windows machine here to test it...

Edited by TsVk!, 28 December 2015 - 04:50 PM.

#6 Night Train

Night Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

Now that truecrypt is gone,

Truecrypt is still safe to use.

Spot on Nick. The encryption algorithms in Truecrypt are a long way from being broken.

That being said there are a handful of vulnerabilities that have been fixed in an offshoot project of Truecrypt, named Veracrypt. I am unsure if the created volumes are are multi-platform accessible. I would assume so, though no Windows machine here to test it...

Thanks guys, I'll give veracrypt a shot and comment back with the results.

Edited by Night Train, 28 December 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#7 Night Train

Night Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:40 PM

Veracrypt worked perfectly and is most certainly cross platform compatible. I can only create 4GB Volumes due to the restrictions for Fat32, but alas I don't think I can change that.

Thanks for the help guys.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for letting us know. :thumbup2:

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:14 AM

Veracrypt must be a good one, rarely do I see a file with SHA512 checksums. 

TsVk!, Thanks for introducing this one to us! :thumbup2:

Still have a few 4GiB USB sticks, this is far better than Bitlocker could hope to be for these. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users