Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Replacement Options: What To Do?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 techgnosis

techgnosis

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:29 AM

This is what's happening with my power supply: 

• The monitor won't recognize the computer and goes into Power Save mode.
  • Once, it started by itself after I left alone for 15 minutes (not anymore, however). 
  • Some grunting noise from the back where the power supply is located
  • The starter button is no longer lighting up, even though the computer seems to be on.

This is a 2.5-year old Dell XPS 850 system which just went off warranty and support. 

Should I try to replace the power supply on my own?

(1) It looks like I can buy one from Impact for $69 + shipping.  I'm a novice but am reasonably tech-savvy and can follow instructions.

https://www.impactcomputers.com/6gpr9.html?path=1004_1046_302_16460

It looks like there are some places that do repair power supply. Is this worth it?  

(2) There are places like LaptopMD , Geeksquad and Staples EasyTech.  The reason why this may be an option is because I have 2 other fairly recent computers (probably motherboard issues) that I'm interested in salvaging.  There are some repair places that do soldering and motherboard repair for $199.  How reliable is motherboard repair?

I did invest quite a lot into my system.

(3) Would going back to Dell for their renewal tech support deal (in my state), would that be worth it?

========================

System Config:  Dell XPS 8500 2013; 3.4 GHz; 12 Gb RAM; 64-bit OS; 2 Tb HD & 2nd 1TB HD running Windows 8.1 2013

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:49 AM

well, if your 100% certain that the problem is indeed the powersupply, they are relatively easy to swap out in a desktop, you could probably even find a better one cheaper on newegg, that will work in your system. From the looks of it, your desktop should take any ATX power supply. I would just buy a new one, repairing them is expensive as one has to know what they are doing-they can be dangerous to service due to stored current. There maybe places that do it, but chances are it will be cheaper just to swap it out yourself. Something like this will probably do you quite well. 

Some places do sodering on boards, ive seen mixed results, some people ive seen soder boards and get 5 more years out of them, others only months. if you really know the tech and trust them, then it might be worth it. But I personally follow the rule if sodering is involved, replace the part, its not worth it to me.

As far as dells customer service, I guess it depends...ive personally have never had any luck dealing with dell customer service, but if youve had good support from them in the past, and it would save you money, then it might be worth it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:11 AM

Well, do the symptoms above suggest a power supply problem?  My google search tells me they do. I would use ATX power supply if fully compatible with my system. The reason I'm hesitant is because this impact site which has my original power supply says at the bottom that "compatibility" is only with XPS 8500.  If I'm sure that ATX could work with my system I would buy that one.

well, if your 100% certain that the problem is indeed the powersupply,

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:50 PM

It could be...hard to be certain without running some tests on it, do you have access to a voltmeter, and feel confident playing with live electricity? If so I can get you step by step instructions on how to test it. Alternatively make sure whatever PSU you buy has a return policy and if it doesn't fix the problem you can return it.

As far as fitting, atx is the form factor, defines what cases it will fit in. The pictures of your PC I've been finding looks like it is a atx form factor case, and that theory is confirmed by the fact the PSU from impact that you linked is a atx form factor PSU. It's just a lower grade one then the one I linked, and its more expensive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:29 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have that.  I just assumed that the above symptoms narrow the issue down to the power supply.  The starter button no longer lights up.  Perhaps I should contact Impact first and see if they accept returns in case it's not the power supply.  Maybe call Dell even before that since they'd probably accept returns.

It could be...hard to be certain without running some tests on it, do you have access to a voltmeter, and feel confident playing with live electricity? If so I can get you step by step instructions on how to test it. Alternatively make sure whatever PSU you buy has a return policy and if it doesn't fix the problem you can return it.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

wouldnt hurt to contact dell, if its just out of warranty they might make an exception, though my pevious experience with their customer service department says otherwise....but you never know. a email or a phone call wont hurt anything.

picard5.jpg

#7 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:53 AM

Okay, got  a new power supply.  The computer turns on but the power start button is orange, not green.  It doesn't blink orange, just stays orange.  The monitor goes into Power Save mode.  

Now what?  Is it possible that the wires are not fitted correctly?  Or is the problem with the motherboard? 

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

Could be any host of things...double checking all your wires and connections is the next step. I would then remove all but one ram stick and try it, and if that doesn't work swap it out with the others and try different ram slots.

If you have a different video card or another machine you can test the video card out in that would be a good step to.

picard5.jpg

#9 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:52 AM

It actually turned out to be the motherboard.  I had a local technician fix it for me.  He replaced the motherboard.  The PSU that I thought was malfunctioning actually turned out to be ok.  It sure behaved as if it was the PSU.

Now I have a question.  When I push the starter button, it's orange for a second before turning green.  Is that supposed to be normal?  I don't remember it behaving like this before.  Also, I didn't realize that the PSU has a green light in the back of the computer and it stays on green when you turn off the computer.

Is that normal as well?  So the PSU never turns off even when you turn off the machine?  Should I turn it off manually by unplugging the computer?  Just never paid attention to my computer before.

Could be any host of things...double checking all your wires and connections is the next step. I would then remove all but one ram stick and try it, and if that doesn't work swap it out with the others and try different ram slots.

If you have a different video card or another machine you can test the video card out in that would be a good step to.

#10 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:51 AM

It is normal for the PSU to have a light as long as it is plugged in. 

#11 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

I'm wondering whether I should plug everything into a power strip and turn it off when I'm done, instead of using the starter button to turn off the computer.  What's preferable. Have the computer turned off but have the PSU on with the green light all the time or have the entire thing off?

It is normal for the PSU to have a light as long as it is plugged in. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users