This is what's happening with my power supply:
- The monitor won't recognize the computer and goes into Power Save mode.
- Once, it started by itself after I left alone for 15 minutes (not anymore, however).
- Some grunting noise from the back where the power supply is located
- The starter button is no longer lighting up, even though the computer seems to be on.
This is a 2.5-year old Dell XPS 850 system which just went off warranty and support.
Should I try to replace the power supply on my own?
(1) It looks like I can buy one from Impact for $69 + shipping. I'm a novice but am reasonably tech-savvy and can follow instructions.
It looks like there are some places that do repair power supply. Is this worth it?
(2) There are places like LaptopMD , Geeksquad and Staples EasyTech. The reason why this may be an option is because I have 2 other fairly recent computers (probably motherboard issues) that I'm interested in salvaging. There are some repair places that do soldering and motherboard repair for $199. How reliable is motherboard repair?
I did invest quite a lot into my system.
(3) Would going back to Dell for their renewal tech support deal (in my state), would that be worth it?
System Config: Dell XPS 8500 2013; 3.4 GHz; 12 Gb RAM; 64-bit OS; 2 Tb HD & 2nd 1TB HD running Windows 8.1 2013