Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI slot not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1r0nm0nk3y

1r0nm0nk3y

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

First off, this is my exact PC:
http://www.dell.com/uk/dfh/p/studio-xps-8100/pd

Ok so up until recently i have been using a VGA cable to my monitor. I got hold of a nice new HD tv and tried to connect it to the HDMI slot on the back of my computer but i don't get any picture. It is not the TV as my xbox works fine using the same cable to any of the 3 slots in the tv. I have tried turning both the TV and Computer off, then plugging the HDMI in, changing the tv to the correct slot then turning the computer on, nada. when i open nvidia control panel there are no HDMI options as shown

Attached File  nvidia panel.png   142.16KB   0 downloads

the only place the hdmi is shown is in audio devices:

Attached File  sound.png   168.33KB   0 downloads

anyone have any idea how to fix this and get the hdmi to work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

Worth a read, IMO:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19320891 .

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

You didn't post the make and model of this new TV.  So I don't know what source options are offered.  You may need to read the manual to see if there is an option for using the TV as a computer monitor.  I have such a option on one of my HDTVs.  Actually, that's two of the three HDTVs, I forget that I'm using a smaller HDTV as a monitor for my computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 1r0nm0nk3y

1r0nm0nk3y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

It works with VGA to the computer, and the HDMI works with other devices (xbox, ps3), it's just when i try hdmi from the computer to tv it doesn't work. I also discovered the VGA port on the motherboard doesn't work (where the HDMI slot is). the VGA slots on the video card work fine though. is it a problem with the motherboard?

edit: i use this PC mostly for gaming so if the only way to get the hdmi to work is to bypass the video card, i can't do that, which i'm guessing will mean i need a new video card to use hdmi.

Edited by 1r0nm0nk3y, 27 December 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

Since you have a dedicated graphics card installed this has probably disable the integrated graphics.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users