Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opera for Windows XP: Fast and Secure?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 techgnosis

techgnosis

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

My PC has been disabled because of a power supply problem.  So I've been using my old laptop with Windows XP.  A friend suggested that I use Opera to browse Windows XP.

Whoa, the Web is much, much faster.  Before, I considered my laptop to be unusable for browsing the Web because Explorer was just too slow and Hotmail would put me into a mobile/iPhone mode.  Now I can use just about any website, including Youtube.  I don't really care about Flash sites like CNN or CBS Sports because I use this laptop for work.  Maybe it's because Flash is automatically disabled and that's why it seems so much quicker?

Anyone who've used Opera for XP know the performance vis-a-vis Chrome or Firefox?  For example, these articles recommend Chrome, Firefox or Opera for those still using XP, as Microsoft won't support Explorer any longer. 

http://news.softpedia.com/news/These-Browsers-Are-Still-Safe-to-Use-on-Windows-XP-436536.shtml

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/browser-secure-old-windows-xp-system/

How secure is Opera for Win XP?  Is it trustworthy enough to make e-commerce transactions?  I had to make 1 transaction and routed it through Paypal due to my misgivings about XP. 

Also, how does performance (speed) compare among Opera, Chrome and Firefox on XP?  Thanks.

Edited by techgnosis, 26 December 2015 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

No matter what browser you use, the underlying operating system is insecure and cannot protect you.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

You do know that Opera uses the same engine as Chrome?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

I didn't know that.  I used Google for my other computer and felt it was no faster than Explorer.

You do know that Opera uses the same engine as Chrome?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

No matter what browser you use, the underlying operating system is insecure and cannot protect you.

While this is absolutely true, the things each is protecting against are quite different.  I don't use WinXP for anything of importance for precisely the reason you state, but if someone's going to stay with XP they'd be far better off using Opera, Chrome, or Firefox in their latest iterations than IE in the last version that was supported on XP.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users