Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Replace Fan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

I have a Compaq CQ60-615DX Notebook that the fan stopped working on, and to make it fun I have no computer repair places nearby where I live, so I'm hoping this is a somewhat of a task for someone to do without much knowledge. I found a video on youtube that shows the breaking apart of the computer, but I don't think all of it is 100% needed to get to the fan, if someone has better instruction I would gladly like them. Also I looked online at Amazon and Ebay and they show that there is two different kinds of fan for my kind of laptop, I would like to order the fan before I open the laptop so I only have to do it once, so if anyone knows what kind of fan and maybe even a link to the right one would be great. I'm really tired of having it sit here as a paperweight so help would be great.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:40 PM

Here's the official Maintenance and Service Guide for your laptop.  It would appear that the computer really does have to be heavily deconstructed in order to replace the fan/heat sink assembly.

I just went through some thing similar to upgrade the RAM on my HP 15-g035wm.  Even the very best of designs for laptops aren't able to take into account "ease of replacement" for things seldom needing replacement.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

So in the manual it says;

Fan/Heat Sink assembly (includes replacement thermal material) for use only with computer models with UMA graphics subsystem memory Product #

Fan/Heat Sink assembly (includes replacement thermal material) for use only with computer models with discrete graphics subsystem memory Product #

So how do I find out which one my computer has so I can see if I can find the right part?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:41 PM

If you are planning to do this job yourself, and the computer is dead anyway, I'd just do the disassembly to see what's in there so that you may be able to match it up to the two available replacement parts.

I can find nothing out there designating which specific units have one style versus the other.  If someone else knows how to do this without the tear down first I'm sure they'll chime in.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

Well the computer isn't dead,dead just needs the fan so it will stay running. I'm pretty scarred about trying this job myself but without a computer shop near by and the only one I can get to wanting over $100 and 4 weeks to do it. It doesn't seem like I have much of an option.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

If you follow the instructions in the service manual, and watch the video first, you'll probably do fine.  The trick is paying careful attention to the steps you take, and in what order, during the "take apart" portion of the program so that you can reverse them when it's time to put it back together.  You're likely to break at least one plastic hold down tab on something, and that's not the end of the world.

If this laptop is not really used as a mobile device you could also consider getting a cooling pad and simply running with that blowing the air through.

#7 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:30 PM

I tried that but it wouldn't stay cool enough, I could feel it and see the temp go up and up the longer it stayed on, it would also start to freeze until it finally shut down and gave me a message about over heating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users