Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double Encryption, does it do anything.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

I have been looking to backup my computers latley, but that is for another place. In my reaserch I have found a chines backup company that offera a lot of free space. The thing is I don't know how much i trust it. tencent weiyun to be specific.But back on topic if i were to encrypt the data once with 7-zip or AxCrypt, then with VeraCrypt, Both with 20-25 long strong password that I have writen down in a few places. How effective would this be. Or would it just be a waste of my time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:28 PM

Trust in the Cloud?

There is no cloud. It's just someone else's computer!

It is sufficient to encrypt your data once if you do it right. AES-256 and up are completely safe.

Use ultra-long passwords/keyphrases. Double encryption is a waste of time...

7-Zip and AxCrypt (uses 7-Zip plus a key-file) are good examples.

May I suggest CryptSync (also uses 7-Zip) for making encrypted (Cloud) backups?

Greets!

#3 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:50 AM

Thanks, I just have a few questions. If i were to take the files off somewhere would i just need 7zip to decrypt them.

second just to make sure this will be encrypted in aes256 right.

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:41 PM

If i were to take the files off somewhere would i just need 7zip to decrypt them.

Indeed, unless you used a keyfile (AxCrypt), if you didn't use one, 7-Zip will be fine.

The extension of the encrypted files doesn't mather, just open with-other program-choose 7-Zip.

second just to make sure this will be encrypted in aes256 right.

Yes, all mentioned programs (AxCrypt, CryptSync and 7-Zip) encrypt via AES-256  :thumbsup2:

Greets!

#5 Hydroque

Hydroque

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

I made an AES encrypter and decrypted using Java. It would be more beneficial to encrypt once, then add a character so that iterating over it provides an error to people trying to decrypt it.

#6 freepizza

freepizza

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:53 PM

It would corrupt the file I guess

#7 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:56 AM

Yeah, the only thing encryption 2ce does is to stop (some) brute forcing.  There are some certain encryption methods where running it multiple helps, but stick to AES and you'll be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users