Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

I have a personal Computer at the school I work at, it runs Windows 10 pro.

I have another computer at home which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. After it activated, I formatted the SSD, and performed a fresh install.

After the fresh install it wanted a password on log in, it was the same password that I use on the computer I use at school. In fact all the settings, including the desktop screen is exactly like the school computer.

How are these computers linked? Is it through my Microsoft account?

My computer at school must have a passord, but my computer here at the house does not. If I shut off the password here will the same thing happen to the computer I have at school?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

How are these computers linked? Is it through my Microsoft account?

If the account you created on both is a Microsoft Account type user, and that's the default, and you used the same e-mail address for each of them then, yes, the two are linked through your Microsoft account.

I do not think that turning off the password entry requirement (can you even do that for a Microsoft Account type user?) is synchronized beyond the machine on which you do it.  I haven't tried this, though.

If you change your password then it will change anywhere you use your Microsoft Account to log in after it's had a chance to propagate out.  If you change it on a machine that has an internet connection, but then try to log on to another machine that has not had an internet connection, your password on the machine that's not had an internet connection will be your last password.  Passwords are maintained locally and on your Microsoft Account, but if your local machine can't sync with your Microsoft Account the password it will have is whatever it last had before you changed it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

O.K. I figured it out.

If you go to settings > accounts > sync your settings  and then turn off sync settings.

Now I can make changes to this computer without effecting the other. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

If you can, would you be able to experiment with having sync on but removing the password on only one machine and seeing if that propagates to the other?

I would actually be shocked if this particular setting, as context sensitive as it can be, would be a part of synchronization, but I could be wrong.  It would be good to know.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:26 PM

I'm a teacher on Christmas Break, I'll be back in my Classroom on Monday.

I'll test it then.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:27 PM

Thanks so very much.   I would actually be quite disturbed if sync was on and had any effect, at all, on password requirements on any machine other than the one on which a change was actually made.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:56 AM

That would be good to know indeed.  That would seem to negate the whole purpose of a password would it not?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users