Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead In The Water

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xpiswhyilikemax

xpiswhyilikemax

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:38 AM

Hiya
I Hope you can shed some light on these issues.
this maybe a bit wordy...sorry
My daughters computer was having a problem with pop-ups
...found a folder called cowabanga; inside was a liscence agreement
(mentioning OIN..knew it was part of the problem because of the
string of text associated with the pop-ups) & an uninstaller
>>>so I uninstalled>>>>HA
Now I cant access the START MENU, & get this message in any
window "your current security settings prohibit running activex...."
Ran ad-aware in safe mode; found 9 deleted 9
I cant reach command prompt to even re-format; which my girls
would hate 'cos of all the pictures & toonage
any clues or pointers would be greatly appreciated
ps
I do notice every response seems to include something involving
hijackthis...do I need this to proceed
thanx in advance
Face Piles of Trials with Smiles - Moody Blues

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:15 AM

Just a thought, but your situation may be so far gone you may want to wipe out the drive and start over. However, there is a way to retrieve the data first:

You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

Then wipe out the drive and start over:

You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 gatetech72

gatetech72

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:20 AM

there is another way to try and get the icons and data off the computer. When the computer is booted up and no icons. Press the CLT + ALT + DEL.then goto file then new task run. type in msconfig. then hit ok click on startup tab and disable all (make sure internet connection is disconnected) then apply, ok then reboot. you should have all your icons back. this should give you time to back up data

#4 xpiswhyilikemax

xpiswhyilikemax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:30 AM

Just a thought, but your situation may be so far gone you may want to wipe out the drive and start over. However, there is a way to retrieve the data first:

You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

Then wipe out the drive and start over:

You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.

hiya Al, thanx for the hints
I have another posting /same title; where I submit the hijackthis file...dya think you could have a peek
at it ?
thanx again
Face Piles of Trials with Smiles - Moody Blues

#5 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:36 AM

If you have a HJT log you can get it checked by posting it in the Hijack This logs and Analysis forum. It take some time to get a reply. (usaully you get a reply within 5 days)
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users