Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hi guys,

I ordered a cheap Dell desktop a few days ago for the sole purpose of playing around and experimenting with (early Christmas present to me). :lol:  Again, that computer is only for fun and learning, not for gaming or anything else.

Basic specs:

Dell Optiplex 755 MT, XP Pro, Core 2 Duo (3GHz), 4 gig ram, 160GB SATA, 305w PSU, on-board video.

While I was looking at the computer specs, I figured I would also order a cheap video card just for the heck of it.  The computer only cost $60.00 including shipping (90 day warranty), and the video card was another $12.00 (90 day warranty), and it even included the DMS-59 dual VGA splitter.

Okay, so finally to my questions.  The video card I ordered was the one specifically recommended by Dell for that computer.  It is an ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT.  I then thought I would visit the Dell site and download the driver for that card:

Sure enough the driver is listed and available:

AMD Radeon HD 2400 XT Graphics Driver  R188603.exe

Then, however, I got confused.  While browsing all of the available video driver updates, I noticed a BIOS update I have never heard of:

AMD Radeon HD 2400 XT System BIOS  OPGA5.iso

Yet, under computer BIOS updates, it lists:

Dell Optiplex 755 System BIOS O755-A22.exe

So what the heck is the AMD Radeon HD 2400 XT System BIOS?  Does that mean if I install the new graphic card I must also install the AMD Radeon HD 2400 XT System BIOS?

I know this is a dirt-cheap system, but I don't want to brick it on the first day.   :nono: Oh, btw, the computer has not arrived yet so I don't know what is actually installed yet. 

Thanks guys.

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2016 - 01:38 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

I would not worry about it....the BIOS in question, its referring to the computer BIOS, NOT the video card BIOS. Video cards, do have a basic BIOS, however its not accessible. Just download the driver for the video card and you should be good to go.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

Thanks patriot,

I figured I would only need the actual video driver (R188603.exe), but I still am curious as to what the AMD Radeon HD 2400 XT System BIOS is used for (OPGA5.iso).  Especially considering Dell marks it as URGENT.

AMD Radeon HD 2400 XT System BIOS

This package provides the AMD Radeon HD 2400 XT System BIOS and is supported on OptiPlex 320/745c/745/755/740/330 and Vostro Desktop 200 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.
Fixes & Enhancements
Fixes - Fixed memory corner failure while running UVD clocks on consumer cards - Disabled DPM (Dynamic Power Management) Enhancements - Packages into DOS bootable ISO - Improved performance
Version
Version s3b27602.112, A04
Category
Video
Release date
18 Dec 2007
Last Updated
05 Mar 2014
Importance
Urgent

Well, Dell has always done things a bit different than others.

Thanks again.   :thumbup2:

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:51 AM

who knows, perhaps that year they did have a bios? that 2400 is an ancient card, and ive personally, have never used anything from that series at all-Ive used ATI cards from the previous series, and almost every series since, but skipped the 2xxx series altogether. Id try the driver only first, if you start experiencing issues, then perhaps worry about the BIOS-feel free to come back here, and we can figure out how to do it together. 

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 eznetso

eznetso

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

Did you go to the ATI site as well.  They have a database for all of their old drivers.  You should be able to find it there, or confirm what the Patriot said regarding the availability of a bios for that specific model.  I have found that it's often better to get the drivers from the manufacturers sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users