Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I delete CbsPersist logs safely, your opinion please.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

Hi,

On my laptop (Windows 7 64bit) I have discovered I have in the folder "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS" the following

CBS.log    26/12/15    Text Document      2105 KB

CbsPersist_20110413024632.cab    18/02/11  WinRAR Archive   946KB

DeepClean.log   15/11/15    Text Document     616KB

FilterList.log      07/07/15      Text Document   1KB

It is the ones below I'm interested in deleting as in total they are taking up 18.1GB

Also 21  CbsPersist_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.log (where xxx is the date and time)    Dates ranging from 07/07/15 to 18/12/15  Text Document  Size From 204709KB (199MB) to 5904612KB (5.63GB)

I have read different comments from a few other sites where they often contradict anther.

Any opinions on what I should delete would be grateful. Thank you in advance and Happy New year.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

Hi,

The CbsPersist logs are only useful to diagnose problems related with Windows Updates and the Component Store, my suggestion is to remove all the old logs except the last one.

Usually Windows compress the log's into cab format to save space but it seems it can fail if the logs are big (> 2GB), if there isn't enough free space, etc.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

Hi SleepyDude,

Thank you for your advice. I will leave the last one (about 224MB) and delete the other ones.

As for the CAB file, I don't mind leaving that as it's only 946KB.

I will keep an eye on this folder as it seems that many of these logs are > 800MB.

Thank you once again

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

#4 compx2

compx2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

I have no trouble deleting the 20 GBs of log files that deposit themselves in these folders every month or so.  But I would like to stop them from accumulating.  I have been reading other forums and the only suggestion so far that seems to apply to my issue is the disable automatic Windows updating.  I will give that a try, but any OTHER suggestions?  One person suggested that CCleaner deletes them, but I tried that and it is NOT true.

#5 Arctican

Arctican

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:48 AM

Thanks to @SleepyDude (I can relate) for the recommendation.

I have the same question as @compx2 regarding the best way to stop these BIG Cbs (Windows logs) files from accumulating, if possible.

I'd be most interested to hear your opinions.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:31 AM

Hi Arctican,

The CBS logs normally should not be big, when they are usually there are some errors you should run a scan sfc /scannow from a Command Prompt running as Administrator.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users