Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I Un-Reserve my copy of Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:36 AM

When Microsoft was ready to release Windows 10 in June, I reserved my copy on my laptop. A copy of Windows 10 was later downloaded to the laptop, but I chose not to install it at that time. When I saw all of the problems that users on this forum were having, I changed my mind about doing the upgrade.

I installed a copy of GWX Control Panel, and this has allowed me to delete the downloaded Windows 10 files and folders and to disable the Upgrade icon. However, it seems that Microsoft still thinks that I want Windows 10 and it keeps downloading files and re-enabling Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update. I have to use GWX Control Panel to disable the OS upgrade setting.

I looked around but did not see a way that I could tell Microsoft that I changed my mind and do not want the Windows 10 Upgrade after all. Is there a way to do this, either in Windows itself, or through the Microsoft web site?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

Look into the post below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599235/for-those-that-wish-to-stay-with-7/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

GWX control panel 1.7 should stop this. The update will be available soon.

• December 21, 2015: Version 1.7 is code-complete. After I make a couple of tweaks to the installer I will be distributing it to beta testers. This is another big one. If you've noticed Microsoft re-enabling your Windows 10 settings while you weren't looking in the past couple of weeks, this update's gonna be for you. The new version should be available to the public in a few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users