Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 High CPU usage (Speccy and Task Manager give different information )

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KissMyAsthma13

KissMyAsthma13

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:59 AM

Hello

This is my first so I hope this is the correct section.

After being loyal to windows 7 for loooong time I have decided to upgrade to windows 10 and I did not regret it till few days ago.

My laptop goes crazy hot but Task Manager shows like none CPU usage while Speccy shows rather high CPU usage and temperature.

Here some ss:

Speccy

Spoiler

Task Manager

Spoiler

Now I really don't understand how can this be so different in results?

I start task manager my right clicking on task manager and Run Task Manager or ctr+alt+delete combo

It's not dust on the fan for overheating since I did cleaning few weeks ago.

Thanks for help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

I don't understand why you think that 65° C is "crazy hot" on an Intel i5-2340m.  The T-Junction temperature for this CPU is 100° C, and you're light years cooler than that.  Running temperatures in the high 40s-mid50s at rest and up to the 80s when really, really stressed are well within normal limits for this CPU. 

I also don't understand what you think you're comparing across Speccy results and Task Manager results.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 KissMyAsthma13

KissMyAsthma13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

I don't understand why you think that 65° C is "crazy hot" on an Intel i5-2340m.  The T-Junction temperature for this CPU is 100° C, and you're light years cooler than that.  Running temperatures in the high 40s-mid50s at rest and up to the 80s when really, really stressed are well within normal limits for this CPU. 

I also don't understand what you think you're comparing across Speccy results and Task Manager results.

Well I can see that my machine is hot and the "indicator" keeps blinking on idle which means it's working on something but CPU is on 1-5% usage

So I'm confused how can it be on 1-5% usage?

When on Speccy is indicates it's hot and almost constantly on 100%.

Also now even graphics card is overheating... There were some Microsoft Updates I think...

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

Again, 65° C is not hot, it's barely warm-ish, for your CPU.  No matter how many times you insist that this is hot won't make it so.  This is so far below the maximum allowed operating temperature that the manufacturer specifies is the highest temperature it can tolerate that it's silly to call it hot.

The indicator that I'm guessing you're talking about is probably the disc activity indicator.  It is entirely possible to have high disc activity and low CPU activity at the same time.  It's common, in fact, under a number of circumstances.

Speccy does not show "hot" anything and I have no idea where in those results you think that usage as a percentage of total capacity is being shown - it isn't.

I can't speak to anything about your graphics card.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 KissMyAsthma13

KissMyAsthma13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

Again, 65° C is not hot, it's barely warm-ish, for your CPU.  No matter how many times you insist that this is hot won't make it so.  This is so far below the maximum allowed operating temperature that the manufacturer specifies is the highest temperature it can tolerate that it's silly to call it hot.

The indicator that I'm guessing you're talking about is probably the disc activity indicator.  It is entirely possible to have high disc activity and low CPU activity at the same time.  It's common, in fact, under a number of circumstances.

Speccy does not show "hot" anything and I have no idea where in those results you think that usage as a percentage of total capacity is being shown - it isn't.

I can't speak to anything about your graphics card.

From what you've just said I can freely assume it's this darn Nvidia GeForce GT 540M again. 

Had issues with it on win 7 and now with upgrading everything was working fine.

Thanks for replying

#6 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:37 AM

Next time you want to see what's using CPU, click the Details tab, that tells you what is using CPU and Memory.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users