Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Problem, Please Respond

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Robin_norway

Robin_norway

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:24 AM

Hi.

I'm using Win XP PRO and the last days I've had this problem with something using over 1GB of virtual memory, Task Manager don't help me finding out what process it is and it really lags my system.

I don't think it is a virus because I have Sunbelt Kerio firewall and a good AV that I frequently update online and BTW none of those two are free versions.

Also I wonder what is the recommended level of virtual memory for my computer?
I'm running a AMD 1GHZ CPU with 512 MB DDR, please respond to this because it really really lags my system occasionally.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:27 AM

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#3 Wynand

Wynand

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:28 AM

Well, personaly I always do this:
If memory=256MB, then paging file=786MB
if memory=512, then paging file=512MB
if memory=786MB, then paging file=256MB
If memory=1024MB, then paging file=0

I always make the total size one GB. But it is recommended to play a littel with it to see whats best for you. did you defragment your drive, had a cleanup recently?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:54 AM

The rule of thumb is that the page file should be one and a half times the amount of ram that you have installed and more if you open several aps at a time or use intensive graphics aps.

If you have more than one physical hard drive (not just a partition) it is also recommended that the page file be placed on the secondary (slave) drive which will make it faster and cause less fragmentation on your primary (Master) drive.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 July 2006 - 07:56 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

Well, personaly I always do this:
If memory=256MB, then paging file=786MB
if memory=512, then paging file=512MB
if memory=786MB, then paging file=256MB
If memory=1024MB, then paging file=0

I always make the total size one GB. But it is recommended to play a littel with it to see whats best for you. did you defragment your drive, had a cleanup recently?

So, I've got 2 gB of RAM - how do I make a pagefile of -1 gB of hard disk space? (just kidding:).

You can live without a pagefile for a long time if you've got enough RAM - but eventually a program will pop up and require you to have one (took me 6 months).

I recommend 1.5 times the size of your RAM up to 1 gB (of virtual memory). But it really depends on what you use your system for. The best solution is to add your own "fudge factor" to your observations of how much of the pagefile is used - then set it at that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:28 PM

Go to start>my compputer>right click >properties>click on the advance tab>then choose virtual memory and put the size you would like to use. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by zemoman, 26 July 2006 - 02:29 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

#7 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:52 AM

Thanks all :thumbsup:

First off, I have posted a HJT log in the proper forum, but still awaits reply.
I first used an automatic log thingy to post my log in and it was all ok except for what I posted in the HJT forum.

Maybe I'll just go and edit my post with the full log.

I'll also try to turn down my virtual, thanks again for your help

Edited by Robin_norway, 27 July 2006 - 02:54 AM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:46 AM

Not "Turn down",

1gig ram = 1500megs pagefile - 1 1/2 x your ram. More if you are using heavy graphics aps.

The page file is not used until you utilize all your ram, and then Windows writes to the page file (also known as a swap file)

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 July 2006 - 05:47 AM.

#9 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:43 AM

Thanks, I had 3GB of virtual but now I adjusted it to 750MB and did some stuff I discovered in the tips and tricks forum.

My computer is much faster now without any lag at all, YAY!! :thumbsup:

#10 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

Im glad to see you have fixed the problem :thumbsup:
ROOTKITS BAD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users