Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I don't like the implications that come to mind

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

I SAID I'D GET YOUR ADVICE/FEEDBACK   HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED: A friend I'm visiting logged onto FB last night on her computer and tried to post a link but got a message about her computer being infected and so unable to post at this time (try later it says) that goes on to say her computer is infected and SHE MUST FOLLOW a url TO DOWNLOAD THE FIX FROM THERE. Over a 3-hr period subsequent attempts to post got same results. She finally logged off and I logged on under my profile ON THE SAME COMPUTER.and I was able to post as always. NOW - I have heard of SCAREWARE saying computer is infected but not selectively depending who is signed on. GETTING A NOTICE FROM FACEBOOK restricting use of her profile and DEMANDING (not suggesting) a file be downloaded is suspicious as hell total b.s. ITS CENSORSHIP Who knows what's in the url/file and what idiot is going to download such a file.    This snapshot is of a message without the URL link and instructions to download that she says was contained the first two times.   It's still suspicious    on several levels but if they detect virus when she's logged on but not me on the same computer then something ain't right. Attached File  facebook infected scam.jpg   68.03KB   0 downloads

Edited by Platypus, 25 December 2015 - 08:50 PM.
Moved from Logs forum, as no logs included.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

It's possible that her account have been reported multiple times by other users for posting spamming messages or sharing suspicious Facebook pages (I report accounts like these everyday), and if her account received too many messages, Facebook decided to limit her action until she cleans her computer. I don't think they know exactly if the system is infected or not, but they suggest it since her account might have been reported by other users. The reason yours wasn't flagged on her computer is most likely because it was never reported and your account isn't compromised. Also, this is a legitimate Facebook message, and they recommend you to download a virus scanner from TrendMicro, F-Secure, ESET or Microsoft to scan your computer for viruses. See the two links below:

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10204400342318468
https://www.facebook.com/help/389666567759871/?ref=u2u

To sum it up, this isn't censership, nor is it suspicious at all.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

It's possible that her account have been reported multiple times by other users for posting spamming messages or sharing suspicious Facebook pages (I report accounts like these everyday), and if her account received too many messages, Facebook decided to limit her action until she cleans her computer. I don't think they know exactly if the system is infected or not, but they suggest it since her account might have been reported by other users. The reason yours wasn't flagged on her computer is most likely because it was never reported and your account isn't compromised. Also, this is a legitimate Facebook message, and they recommend you to download a virus scanner from TrendMicro, F-Secure, ESET or Microsoft to scan your computer for viruses. See the two links below:

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10204400342318468
https://www.facebook.com/help/389666567759871/?ref=u2u

To sum it up, this isn't censership, nor is it suspicious at all.

Thanks for your response I'm glad to find out the message was from FACEBOOK, however, I respectfully disagree with your beliefs and a whole lot of other people who agree with me as well from experience and facts that don't add up.   I actually did start out to give that first like a try but when it was going on for half-hour or so I decided I'm not comfortable with Facebook's potential for abuse and discrimination.    I have experiences that validate my beliefs.   I've never had any other program spend as much time as it did revealing nothing.   I'd rather close my account with FB - I don't need it that badly.  Do you work for Facebook?   Your beliefs seem to be based on hearsay.

Edited by JayJax, 28 December 2015 - 08:58 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Do you work for Facebook?

I do not work for Facebook. I work for a pharmacy chain company in Canada as a Tier 2 Technical Support.

Also, if you do not like Facebook, you do not have to use it. I'm not telling you to use it, I'm just explaining you why your friend received that message on his/her account and yours didn't. Your beliefs and mine have nothing to do at all here.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

Do you work for Facebook?

I do not work for Facebook. I work for a pharmacy chain company in Canada as a Tier 2 Technical Support.

Also, if you do not like Facebook, you do not have to use it. I'm not telling you to use it, I'm just explaining you why your friend received that message on his/her account and yours didn't. Your beliefs and mine have nothing to do at all here.

I already told you that I would give up my Facebook account if it came to that so I KNOW I DON'T HAVE TO USE IT.   That's obvious, its not something I need to survive.   I appreciate your opinion but in this case with neither of us have any inside information its just a difference of opinion.  I have mine and you have yours.  You do not KNOW - you said as much yourself, definitively why her and not me.  You surmise.  You believe that our beliefs aren't relevant.   Again, I disagree.   Since you don't KNOW that what you think is your opinion not fact.

Edited by JayJax, 28 December 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:37 PM

Sigh. Alright, are we done here? Do you need assistance to get your friend's computer checked or not? If not, I'll just ask a Moderator to move this thread in another section since it clearly doesn't belong here.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users