Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up a Wireless Repeater/Access Point

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cyran

Cyran

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hey all, I had a quick question about possibly extending my Wireless Network drastically. I have the new 2 Asus AC 5300's ( I'm working on a really big house ) and I was hoping someone could tell me how I can set up a Wireless Repeater or a Wireless Access point that will connect to the main router.

I know I need to disconnect the DHCP settings ( I always do ) and get the Ip Address on the first router, and to input the info into the second router, but I am not sure what more steps I need to do if there are more.

Any information would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

first thing to do is walk around the house with your phone and see what the strength is of the wifi signal.

at that good to low strength point, the distance of that location from the wifi signal source will give you a guestimation of the distance you can then go into with the extender. diagram S****M---E  @Source/Mid/End

if the building extends beyond that point you should consider powerline repeaters with multiple stations. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=powerline+wifi+extender&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=65451221203&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2831369632479861594&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8x8frd6zmz_e

wifi repeater must be in the good receive range to be able to repeat a good signal.

building material like what is in walls floors ceilings can impede wifi signals

it is BEST to have a wired connection from the main router to the extender.  There is a lot of degradation in wifi as you doubly repeat it.

Most extenders have a number of possible configurations.  Most you connect to the main router using WPS [button or software click].

Usually you assign it a ip address in the lan subnet but that is out of the dhcp scope so you can access via the lan to manage it.

This is all covered in the docs

Edited by Wand3r3r, 27 December 2015 - 11:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users