Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with my HDD

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 gio88

gio88

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

hi! i've windows vista home basic 32 bit , and a external disk toshiba canvio basics 1 tb , i don't know why ,when i connect my hdd it appears but i can't access the files when i try to enter the hdd it ask me to format the partition , how can i access my files(there have to be a way to do it!!!)?at least to move them to another hdd and then to format and solve the problem ...thanks

Edited by gio88, 25 December 2015 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

Does the drive show as RAW in Disk Management?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

and/or is there an UnLock Drive feature [with or without a password] with this particular HD?  [I ran right into that with another model of HD.]

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 gio88

gio88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

yes! searching on internet i've downloaded testdisk 7.0 and now i'm doing a deeper search on my hdd...hpoing to solve the problem ...is it right doing so? thanks

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

That is correct, you want to do a deeper search if the QuickSearch did not find your partition. If doing a DeepSearch does not find your partitions, start Testdisk again and select the Advanced menu item. Then the Boot option. Does it say if you have a valid Boot Sector?

If you see your files by highlighting a found partition and pressing "p", I would copy the files first before writing a new partition table. Your files are copied to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. You can select files and folders by highlighting and pressing ":" then pressing upper case "C".

If you do not see any partitions using DeepSearch scan the drive using Minitools Data Recovery. It will allow you to recover 1GB for free to see if your files are not corrupted. After 1GB you will need to purchase a key. 

http://www.minitool.com/data-recovery-software/power-data-recovery-free.html

#6 gio88

gio88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

That is correct, you want to do a deeper search if the QuickSearch did not find your partition. If doing a DeepSearch does not find your partitions, start Testdisk again and select the Advanced menu item. Then the Boot option. Does it say if you have a valid Boot Sector?

If you see your files by highlighting a found partition and pressing "p", I would copy the files first before writing a new partition table. Your files are copied to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. You can select files and folders by highlighting and pressing ":" then pressing upper case "C".

If you do not see any partitions using DeepSearch scan the drive using Minitools Data Recovery. It will allow you to recover 1GB for free to see if your files are not corrupted. After 1GB you will need to purchase a key. 

http://www.minitool.com/data-recovery-software/power-data-recovery-free.html

thanks ! now i'm waiting for the deeper search to finish, then i'll do what you said!

#7 gio88

gio88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

i don't know what to do i'm here

2mooyfc.jpg

i press p and this is what appears 

vr623m.jpg

then what i have to do? thanks

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:23 PM

That's not looking good. If you pres the right arrow key on each of entries in the second image, does it list anything? If not then start Testdisk again and in the Advanced Menu select the Boot Option. Post an image if possible.

#9 gio88

gio88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:43 PM

i will start again a new scan...

#10 gio88

gio88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

a live usb with ubuntu and then trying to access the files?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

Ubuntu may be able to mount the disk, it is worth a try. You do not need to rescan with Testdisk, only select the Advanced > Boot Menu. This will tell you if you have a valid boot sector on the drive.

#12 gio88

gio88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

mhpz6x.jpg

what i have to do next? thanks a lot

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

Do you see any files when you select List?

#14 gio88

gio88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

in advanced ---->list appears this

20usugg.jpg

i'm worried

ps at the biggning i select this

nguc93.jpg

even if at the end there is another time the name of my hdd (G:) i hope it's right

how can i solve the problem?thanks!!

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

I think at this point you should try mounting the drive using Ubuntu or Puppy linux.  When you attach the drive you will see a USB icon appear on the Puppy Desktop. Clicking once on it should mount the drive and a File Manager will open.Puppy Tahrpup tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso is a smaller download than Ubuntu.

You can create a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus or burn a disk. If you computer came installed with Windows 8 you would need to disable SecureBoot in order to boot Ubuntu or Puppy. You may need to enable Legacy boot also. Backup any data on the USB flash drive if you use Rufus as it will be formatted. 

If you cannot mount the drive then you will need to scan the drive using recovery software. 

Scan the drive with Minitools Data Recovery. Other software that people have had success with is DiskInternals Partition Recovery but it is expensive. 

There is PhotoRec in the Testdisk folder that will do the same thing but any file recovered has a generic name and correct extension. You would need to open the file and rename it accordingly. Also it recovers files in Real Time so you would need to move the files to another drive as they are being recovered if your internal drive does not have enough space to recover the data from the 1TB drive. File recovery will be in the Testdisk folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users