Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive letters changed.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 alanem

alanem

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

I decided to scrap off my old desktop XP pc and I used Dban to clear it completely.  Then I found a use for it and used the original boot disk that came with it and reinstalled XP.  Now all the drive letters have changed and ©drive is now (I)drive etc.  Is there a way to reconfigure them back to what they were? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

I only have Windows 7, I can't remember what XP's disk management is called.  If it's anything like W7, you should be able to assign the drive letters to match what they were before.  If XP disk management can't do it, something similar to Acronis Disk Director, any partition/HD manager, should allow you to put all the drive-letters back to their original places.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

You can change all partition letters assigned...except for the one assigned the Windows partition...that should always be C:.

To change the letters...the desired letter cannot be already curreently used by another partition.  If it is, then you have to  change that partition letter first.

Example:  I have C:,E:, F:, G:, H as partitions on 2 drives.  If I want to change the E: partition to anything other than C, F, G, or H...I must change the letter currently assigned to whichever before I can change E to either F, G, or H.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-add-remove-drive-letter#1TC=windows-7

Louis

#4 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:52 AM

Thanks so much for your interest but when using disk management in XP I am told  "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume" which is currently (I).    Should I run dban again and try reinstalling XP?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

There are a number of free and fee partition editing utilities out there.  By editing, I'm including the ability to [re][assign] drive letters to any and all partitions.  While recommending not assigning drive letters to System Reserved, manufacturer's restore/rebuild partition; while +1 with previous poster that the Window OS partition remain C, you can shuffle "the cards" any way you want.

Acronis Disk Manager, MiniTool Partition something, Partition Magic, etc., are just a few of the many 3rd party partition editing utilities.  Do not use XP's stuff, not powerful enough.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

Hi alanem

If all else fails, nuke and reinstall.  I recall reading that incorrect drive letters are sometimes assigned, when users have accidentally left flash drives, etc. plugged in. However, I have used Dban, several times on an XP desktop and reinstalled XP from the original installation media, without any problems, C is automatically assigned.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

Go to Disk Management...take a snapshot of it so that we can see all volumes...post that in your next reply.  What you have stated...does not make sense to me.

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial96.html

Louis

#8 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:12 AM

Thanks again.  I've attached a screenshot as suggested...hope you can come up with something.   Alan

Attached File  Disk Management.jpeg   95.26KB   1 downloads

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:43 AM

You cannot change the drive letter on the Windows partition as there are too many settings in the registry pointing to I: I am not sure how you got I for a system partition but did you use a CD for the install? 

I would forget about DBAN and use the bootable Partition Wizard. Since you already wiped the drive with DBAN you do not need to do another wipe, Boot the Partition Wizard disk and select Delete all partitions. Then create a NTFS partition on the disk and label it C:. Mark the partition Active.Then boot your XP disk and proceed with the install. During the install do not attach any other USB external drives or devices other than your mouse and keyboard.

All steps are virtual and will not complete until you click Apply in Partition Wizard.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

Appears to me that you have used a torrent download (illegal, of course) to install Windows.  Since I don't know exactly what steps you took to do so...I can only guess that you had a number of flash/external drives attached when the install was done.

Google Results

This would be the only way that I could explain the drive letter assigned to Windows.

Louis

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

If this computer is a desktop with a CardReader that may be why you are getting multiple removable disks showing in disk management. If possible I would detach the card reader before doing the install.

#12 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

Sorry Louis but all legit.  Took Dban from their site and the boot disk came with the PC.   No flash drives or expansions were involved and I'm not capable of anything advanced.  The only thing I did was to change the boot priority as instructed.  I'll give the suggestions from Petewills and JohnC_21 a shot and keep you posted.   Don't you love a good mystery?

Thanks again   Alan  

#13 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hi Alan

Louis and John are far more knowledgeable than me, I just added my 2 cents because I have successfully done the job in the past. I still have a 13 year old desktop running XP SP3 and Office 2010, but I also have a laptop running Win 10 Pro 64 bit and Office 2013, as I have emerged from the Jurassic period.  Good luck, you can always hide those empty drives through the view options in explorer, but it still remains a mystery why drive letter I was assigned - haven't a clue.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

... why drive letter I was assigned - haven't a clue.

Many but not all external boot operations will shuffle the drive letters;  my wild guess:  AlanM used some sort of external boot OPs to install legal Windows, however, the external-boot OPs played poker-deal with the drive letters.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 December 2015 - 12:23 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

FWIW:  Every version of Windows that employs a non-OEM genuine Windows install media...will install Windows as the C: partition.

I can't speak for OEM recovery/restore disks...but the few that I have seen...will only create a maximum of 4 total partitions:  1 for Windows, 1 for recovery/restore, 1 for boot files, 1 for data storage.

For the system to reflect Windows as I:, something extraordinary had to take place.

I'd probably run a hard drive diagnostic on said drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users