Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My firefox is hijacked by google...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brucerackouski

Brucerackouski

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

How do I get it off my system Please..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skov

Skov

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

what exactly is happening?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

A few more, quite a few more, specifics regarding what's actually occurring are needed before even a SWAG could be made.  Also, I've never seen a reputable company, and Google is one of those, literally hijack anything.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Kabo0m

Kabo0m

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

How do I get it off my system Please..

Sounds like it might be a Google-replica... a fake. Something that tries to look reputable by looking like Google but they are not. We do need more information however to be able to help you out.

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2
Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)     OS:   Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

#5 Brucerackouski

Brucerackouski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:46 AM

When I click on the Firefox button. It takes me to Firefox but Google comes up as my homepage. Also when I load the Yahoo toolbar to Firefox it keeps removing the toolbar.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,314 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

You can change the home page to either a blank page or a web page. Use the settings in Firefox.

Click on Preferences or Options whichever is shown after clicking on Tools. Type in about:blank for a blank home page

or first go to the web page you want to see when First opening Firefox and choose Use Current Pages.

As far as the missing Yahoo Toolbar....that's not a bad thing....it could be because the toolbar is not compatible with

Firefox 43...assuming that is the Firefox you have. Personally, I see no need for any toolbar in browsers.

You can check in Add-ons > Extensions to see if the Yahoo Toolbar has been disabled because it is not compatible with Firefox 43.

Edited by buddy215, 26 December 2015 - 07:25 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,314 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

You can change your default search setting by mousing over the magnifying glass in the small address bar to the right of the main

address bar and clicking on the arrowhead that appears. Then choose Change Search Settings.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

buddy215 has answered your questions.  Newer versions of Firefox are now disabling any number of add-ons, and toolbars are high on that list, that pose known security threats.

You can set Yahoo as your default search provider quite easily if that's your preference.

There's no hijacking going on here.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 Brucerackouski

Brucerackouski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Thanks so much for all our help>>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users