Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noscript.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

I use this add-on every browser I can. I really like it.

It has an option for a bar at the bottom of the page that list what scripts are blocked or allowed.  However it lists the scripts by a number.

So far I have not found a list of what those numbers relate to whatscript. This implies that there is a default allow or block list somewhere.

Depending on how long I have been browseing and how many different pages I have gone to this list of numbers will grow.

I know I can click on the options button but this only shows an abreviated list. Sometimes I have collected more numbers [scripts] than that list shows.

I have e-mailed the developer but with the holidays I may not get a reply for awhile.

Does anyone here know  anything about this.  Thank you very much.  Happy Holidays.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

I'm in Safe Mode with Networking right now, can't check yet.  However, I do not remember any number set.  When I'm in any particular tab, in any particular web site, right-clicking the NoScript button takes me a sometimes long list of allowed and not allowed, the list doesn't use number, rather, a steady stream of names and more names, for example, www.hangnail.com, sdn.hangnail.com, googleThisThatTheOther.hangnail.com, and so on...

Edited by RolandJS, 25 December 2015 - 01:29 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

Currently I am on Bleeping computer, useing waterfox with no script.

Scripts Partially Allowed 3/6 (gstatic.com, google.com, bleeping computer.com) |<SCRIPT>: 42 |<OBJECT) 0

Bleeping computer is the only one I have allowed.  The 6 blocked are not listed at all.

Left or right clicking the Icon at the address bar gives a short list.  If you are useing the tool bar option at the bottom of the page, left click gives that same list and right click does nothing.

Just to better explain where I am comeing from.

Edited by dannyboy950, 25 December 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

Danny, you're correct!  I should have said left-click!  Right-click does nothing at all.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

Do not get me wrong I am not complaining about the add-on.  Me being me I am never just satisfied with x does y but I have to peek under the hood and see why nad how it does something as well.  What can I say an insatiable curiosity.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

There doesn't sound to be anything wrong here, noscript gives the same "scripts currently forbidden {vertical line}(angle bracket)SCRIPT(angle bracket): NN {vertical line} (angle bracket)OBJECT(angle bracket):NN " text across the bottom for me, I think that those NN numbers relate to how many scripts and objects are on the page and the X/Y scripts allowed part tells you how many SOURCES of scripts are currently having their scripts allowed, but this is certainly an interesting qestion.

Edited by rp88, 25 December 2015 - 05:20 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:00 PM

That is the way I am interpeting it as well.  I do find it interesting that the 2 scrpts related to google are automatically allowed.  I do not have those listed by me as to be allowed, only bleeping computer is allowed so it is either a default listing or it is allowed because bleeping computer is allowed is all I can think of.

At this time I have 3 allowed and 6 blocked with the SCRIPT number of 50. And 0 objects

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:20 PM

<snip> I do find it interesting that the 2 scrpts related to google are automatically allowed.  <snip>

From The FAQ's

Scroll all the way to 1.5 Q: What websites are in the default whitelist and why?

#12 google.com, ajax.googleapis.com, maps.googleapis.com, and gstatic.com (GMail, Google Maps and other Google services)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Thank you animal. I thought I had pretty well read over their site faqs apparently I missed a good bit.  A lot of good info relateing to my question and a little more.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

dannyboy950, if you do want to disable those google scripts you should be able to remove them from the default whitelist, although there is no particular reason to, they aren't harmful ones. I expect that the default whitelist can be accessed in the same way as the user defined whitelist, you will likely see these sources of scripts on that list and can remove them if you so choose. Be aware however that some script sources have to be allowed for noscript to work at all, these are sources which correspond to parts of the firefox browser itself. I myself haven't noticed those scripts being on a default whitelist for me though, this is how it has always been which is a litte odd.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

dannyboy950, if you do want to disable those google scripts you should be able to remove them from the default whitelist, although there is no particular reason to, they aren't harmful ones. I expect that the default whitelist can be accessed in the same way as the user defined whitelist, you will likely see these sources of scripts on that list and can remove them if you so choose. Be aware however that some script sources have to be allowed for noscript to work at all, these are sources which correspond to parts of the firefox browser itself. I myself haven't noticed those scripts being on a default whitelist for me though, this is how it has always been which is a litte odd.

A valid point one of the reasons I have not chosen to diable them. It might break something with the site or something too much risk for me with no more info than I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users