Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Upgrade Install Detects Previous Zone Alarm Install And Hangs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mdodgethomas

mdodgethomas

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

I have tried everything I can think of, including  the stand-alone ZA uninstall, however the Win 10 installer is detecting *something* and refusing to proceed until ZA is uninstalled:

Some Apps need t be uninstalled

These programs need to be uninstalled because they aren't compatible with the upgrade.

Zonealarm 10 (2012) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skov

Skov

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/zonealarm-uninstall-tool/

try that uninstall tool for zone alarm

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

If Skov's suggestion does not work then download and run this fixit. If it does not solve the problem then download Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility here. Run it and look for anything ZoneAlarm. Only remove ZoneAlarm and nothing else. If you do not see ZoneAlarm then close out the app.

#4 mdodgethomas

mdodgethomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

No joy with any of the above.

I HAVE discovered that the ZA uninstaller above leaves 40+ reg entries for "ZAMailSafe", I've removed those, but the install is still finding *something*, and still demanding a ZA uninstall before proceeding. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:54 AM

Download and run Autoruns. You can do a search for anything ZoneAlarm related and remove it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/autoruns/

Edit: Pay attention to the Drivers tab. There may be something ZoneAlarm related there.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 December 2015 - 11:58 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:38 AM

This is similar to JohnC_21's post.

But it's a bit more detailed based on my experience.

Set a System Restore point (just in case this goes bad on you).

Download this free tool:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Search through it for anything with Zone, Alarm, ZoneAlarm, Zone Alarm, ZA, Zone Labs, CheckPoint, CheckPoint Software, Check, Point, Check Point, etc

I seem to recall entries that stated CheckPoint Software rather than ZoneAlarm - but it's been a while since I tried this last.

Then track down each entry to see if there's stuff above it (in either the directory structure or the registry.)

Any files/folder related to this software should be renamed (NOT deleted) - so that you can recover if the system becomes unbootable.

Any registry entries should be backed up also (before deleting), but the System Restore point will also make a backup of your registry.

In Autoruns you can disable the entry by removing the checkmark - but that doesn't break any chains that might exist if you miss one of the startups (so it could restart itself if you miss something).

We did this at work once on another major antivirus.  The customer had installed it with the wrong date in the BIOS - and then couldn't reinstall/activate it when the BIOS was set correctly.

It took 2 of us 4 hours of registry diving to remove enough to fix it.

Edited by usasma, 26 December 2015 - 05:41 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 mdodgethomas

mdodgethomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:13 AM

Well... after a four hour search and destroy mission for everything related to zone alarm (BTW, you can add "force field" and "forcefield" to the list in number six) I finally killed off whatever Microsoft was using to detect ZA.

Only to discover that the current keyboard driver is BSODing WIN 10 within a few seconds  at login, and the PC is booting too quickly to catch a F8.

Eventually, after a half hour of trying various things, Win 10 stayed up long enough to start the reversion process to WIN 7, which ran successfully and I'm back where I started.

#8 mdodgethomas

mdodgethomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:18 AM

BTW, a quick GOOGLE indicates that this situation (a KB drive BSODs a new WIN 10 upgrade installation immediately on Win login) is pretty common, and God help the average consumer who encounters it - they can't go forward, they can't go back,,, their PC is effectively bricked.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:06 AM

BTW, a quick GOOGLE indicates that this situation (a KB drive BSODs a new WIN 10 upgrade installation immediately on Win login) is pretty common, and God help the average consumer who encounters it - they can't go forward, they can't go back,,, their PC is effectively bricked.

This is the perfect reason a person who has a Windows 7 computer that is running fine should think twice about upgrading to 10 if they plan on purchasing a new computer after 2020, We are talking about an additional 4 years. There have been a lot of issues with Windows 7 computers after an upgrade. Before any OS upgrade a full disk image should be created with software like Macrium Free, Aoemi Backupper, or even Windows 7 own imaging utility. Unfortunately, the average person does not realize this is even available.

And thanks for the update on the additional names to usasma's excellent post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 December 2015 - 09:08 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:50 AM

FWIW - you can't use F8 during boot w/W8/8.1/10

The boot process only gives you a few milliseconds at the point where F8 is supposed to be pressed - and I don't even know if Microsoft disabled it or not.

Back in the olden days, technicians advised users to NOT do an upgrade install - as they had a higher likelyhood of failure than if you did a clean install.

While problems with upgrade installs are slightly less likely these days, they still are a significant problem for many users.

The only way around this that I've found is to clean install the previous OS (W7/8) and then immediately update to W10.

FYI - this worked for me when updating from Vista to W7 also.

Updating a well-used copy of Windows to another version of the OS is often problematic and (IMO) shouldn't be done.

At work we advise this - and then we charge extra to backup the customer's stuff when we have to wipe and reinstall Windows for them.

There's 2 different ways to do the W10 update once W10 has already been installed - and that depends on the activation status of the first copy of W10.

If it was permanently activated, you'll be able to install W10 clean using the Media Creation tool - and it will be activated.

If it was not permanently activated, then you'll either need to use your W7/8 product key (in the 1511/TH2 update or later), or install W7/8 and update it - then immediately update that to W10

To tell if it is permanently activated, you have to be in that copy of W10 and run "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) from a Command Prompt

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 mdodgethomas

mdodgethomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

FWIW, this was the fifth of our personal PC and laptops up-dated from Win 7 to Win 10. The other four upgrades ran without incident, and the upgraded systems are more stable than under Win 7.

#12 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

Just going to throw this in here for anyone who might read it. It's almost impossible to get F8 to work on windows 10, If you need to get in those option simply turn the pc off then back on, as soon as it's almost done with the bios screen unplug the tower. This ofcourse is a last resort option, but it will guarantee the boot options to come up.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

Lot's of different ways to get into the Startup Options screen.

When restarting, hold down the Shift key.

Or, go to Settings...Update and Security...Recovery...Advanced Startup (click on the Restart Now button that's there).

When booting up, stop the boot as the little rotating circle comes up.  Do this 2 or 3 times and the Startup Options will come up

Boot from the installation media.  In the 2nd screen there will be a "Repair this computer" link in the lower left - click on that.

#14 finaA

finaA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

I am having the same issue. Some of the suggested solutions only work with win7... even in compatability mode, it won't work. Another option that was given is a dead link... 

Anyone know how to fix this bleepingcomputer?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users