Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guide: How to disable User Account Control completely in Windows 8/8.1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 awesomearc

awesomearc

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

There are many people who complain that even though they have User Account Control (UAC) turned off, their actions still require administrator permission.

These users were Windows 8 or 8.1 users who had turned off UAC by the 'easy' method (that is, going to control panel > all control panel items > action center > change user account settings and then sliding the slider all the way down).

In earlier versions of Windows, sliding the slider all the way down would essentially mean turning off UAC completely, but in the newer versions of Windows, doing so just puts UAC into 'silent mode', which prevents the UAC dialogs from appearing, but UAC is still enabled.

BUT,  there's still a way to completely disable UAC in the newer versions of Windows. You need to modify the Windows Registry to do it.

WARNING: Before you do it, let me warn you that if you perform the following steps, you will no longer be able to open any Metro applications! Also, turning off UAC completely makes your computer vulnerable to a variety of threats. I would not recommend doing this unless you undoubtedly know what you're doing.

1. You need to open the windows registry editor. Press [Windows Key + R] to open Run. Then type in 'regedit' (without quotes) and hit enter.

XM3lWC6.jpg

2. Navigate to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

7QqAU4D.jpg

3. In the right pane, look for EnableLUA.

YM33eZg.jpg

4. Double click on it.

hf4wE4j.jpg

5. Change its value to 0.

l5fMyWk.jpg

6. Hit Enter.

7. Close regedit.

8. Reboot your machine. WARNING: If you have 'Hybrid Boot' enabled (most users usually do), DON'T shut down and then re-open your computer. Best thing to do is to press [Windows Key + X], then press [U] and finally press [R]. Remember to save your files and close all applications before doing this.

9Lw3lbd.jpg

All done. Now you have completely disabled UAC.

If you ever wish to enable UAC again, just follow the same steps and on step 5, change the value to '1' instead of '0'.

EDIT: Minor edits and added images.

Edited by awesomearc, 25 December 2015 - 10:20 AM.

Usually, I do not get online before 1:00 PM or after 10:00 PM (my local time).

So, if I do not reply to a thread where I am currently active, make sure you check my local time to see if it's time for me to be online or not. :)

Here is a speccy snapshot (always latest) of my current computer: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QQA3FXM1Pwk7w2wYIXWbS3C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

Good tutorial :)

I won't recommend users to disable UAC on their system, doing this may put your system on security risk. Store apps will stop working if do this.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 awesomearc

awesomearc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:31 AM

@batman1234

Yes, you're right. :)

I've already mentioned your points in my post:

WARNING: Before you do it, let me warn you that if you perform the following steps, you will no longer be able to open any Metro applications! Also, turning off UAC completely makes your computer vulnerable to a variety of threats. I would not recommend doing this unless you undoubtedly know what you're doing.

Edited by awesomearc, 28 December 2015 - 02:32 AM.

Usually, I do not get online before 1:00 PM or after 10:00 PM (my local time).

So, if I do not reply to a thread where I am currently active, make sure you check my local time to see if it's time for me to be online or not. :)

Here is a speccy snapshot (always latest) of my current computer: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QQA3FXM1Pwk7w2wYIXWbS3C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users