Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No signal from GPU

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:10 AM

I was trying to repair my computer that will not boot after swapping cases. I believed that the boot drive was possibly in a different SATA port so was trying them all. I needed to remove the GPU to access something. I started it up without realising the GPU was still removed. I put it back in and now I can no longer see anything on the monitor at all. No BIOS screen or anything. I tried another GPU and it was the same. I also tried both DVI ports.

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard

Sapphire HD 3870 GPU (both)

I was hoping to have this setup going today with the new case and GPU (I was still using the old one to uninstall the old drivers) but I'm just getting problem after problem. Help would be greatly appreciated.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:12 AM

Go over the motherboard mounting, IO plate. Check that the video card is going in all the way. Check power to the video card.

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:22 AM

Still nothing

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#4 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:09 AM

Anyone have any ideas? I've contacted MSI but they haven't responded. I can't see this being anything but a problem with the motherboard. I have tried everything else.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

When you turn on your pc do the fans come on?

Do you get video from the integrated graphics?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:59 PM

When you turn on your pc do the fans come on?

Do you get video from the integrated graphics?

Yes the fans all come on. One thing I noticed was that the fan on the GPU comes on full boar then slows right down. Goes on full then slows again. It continues this over and over. It is common for the 3870 to do this (in my experience) but I don't recall it doing this in POST/BIOS stage before, only in Windows (could be wrong)

Here's what's been annoying me most with this: the 970 has no integrated graphics. If it did, then I could at least use the PC, or if it had no signal then I would know for sure the mobo is stuffed.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

Sounds like a failed graphics card, though i'd like to hear what other users think.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

The GPU works in my other PC. But I have had trouble with them before and thought they died. (Yes both of them simultaneously seemed to have died) Maybe you're right. I'll try the 950 when I get a chance. But was just concerned that I could damage the new card if the mobo was faulty.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

dumb question, but did you double check to make sure all the power connections are hooked up, and hooked up right? You didnt happen to confuse a 8 pin PCI_E connector with a 8 pin CPU connector, or something similar?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

dumb question, but did you double check to make sure all the power connections are hooked up, and hooked up right? You didnt happen to confuse a 8 pin PCI_E connector with a 8 pin CPU connector, or something similar?

No. There are no connection issues full stop.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#11 swaykeb00b

swaykeb00b

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Is this a similar case? I just had this happening to me a few days ago:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600617/no-video-signal-from-gpu/

As ive read somewhere else, its possible the computer has hanged itself in a sleep state. What most people do to fix this is to remove all power to the computer, then use a small tool like a screwdriver or something to remove the small circular battery on the motherboard. Then hold the power button for 30 seconds and put the battery (clock) in again and power up. Didn't work for me, but its worth a shot.

Edited by swaykeb00b, 27 December 2015 - 09:30 PM.

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:49 PM

Is this a similar case? I just had this happening to me a few days ago:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600617/no-video-signal-from-gpu/

As ive read somewhere else, its possible the computer has hanged itself in a sleep state. What most people do to fix this is to remove all power to the computer, then use a small tool like a screwdriver or something to remove the small circular battery on the motherboard. Then hold the power button for 30 seconds and put the battery (clock) in again and power up. Didn't work for me, but its worth a shot.

thats called resetting the CMOS, and more often then not you dont have to press the power button at all, just remove the battery for 30 seconds to a minute. Some motherboards have a jumper that you can move to make it easier. It is worth a shot though, it definetly couldnt hurt.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#13 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:17 AM

It worked! Thank you so much!

Can't believe I didn't think of this. I was thinking that graphics were somehow disabled because of booting without a GPU.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#14 swaykeb00b

swaykeb00b

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

Glad i could help someone with a similar scenario :D Just too bad it couldnt work for me :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users