Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i7 4790k, random spikes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:25 PM

so my cpu temperatures seem the spike randomly.  When I play a low load game 15% to 20%,it normally stays around 35c to 45c, I can get a spike to 61c.  When I play a higher load game which takes about 75% to 80% load, I stay around 45c to 55c.  I get a random spike to 65c.  All the spikes are about a second or less long.  Is this normal for the i4790k?  I'm using a cooler master hyper 212 evo.  Turbo is turned off.

I stressed test my cpu a while back and it hits 63c tops for about a half hour to an hour.  The computer is about 1 week old.

Edited by CalusBlade, 24 December 2015 - 10:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

That's not a huge increase. It just sounds like the low load game is not pushing the cpu as much and the cpu's (speedstepping) is fluctuating between turbo clocks. I would take the side off the case to be sure though, run it as you normally do and keep eye on the cpu fans. It's possible they could be going out due to a dried up bearing.

Edit: As heat increase then the system fan control will also increase. Sometimes a fan that is going out will have trouble going higher speed and may just chug along at a lower speed than the system demands. hell I have seen them completely stop. That's really bad as the bearing inside seized up completely. Also check the fan with the system off and spin it with your finger, to check if there is drag.

Edited by technonymous, 24 December 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:47 PM

That's not a huge increase. It just sounds like the low load game is not pushing the cpu as much and the cpu's (speedstepping) is fluctuating between turbo clocks. I would take the side off the case to be sure though, run it as you normally do and keep eye on the cpu fans. It's possible they could be going out due to a dried up bearing.

Edit: As heat increase then the system fan control will also increase. Sometimes a fan that is going out will have trouble going higher speed and may just chug along at a lower speed than the system demands. hell I have seen them completely stop. That's really bad as the bearing inside seized up completely. Also check the fan with the system off and spin it with your finger, to check if there is drag.

my turbo is turned off and my fan speeds are usually set to max.

My old computer had this happened.  I had a APU and it damaged it after about a weeks worth of running.  I got random lock ups after I fixed this issue.

Edited by CalusBlade, 24 December 2015 - 11:51 PM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:55 PM

So you're turning off turbo clock to overclock then?

#5 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:16 AM

So you're turning off turbo clock to overclock then?

No, I'm just running it at 4.0 ghz.  no overclocking.  When turbo was on it was at 4.4 ghz.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:32 AM

Well with turbo set to on the cpu will have better dynamic overclocking and better cooling management with that. Typically you want to turn turbo off to get a much more stable OC. Reason why I asked. I would suggest turning it on. That 61c is not that bad really. A temp 70-80c is typical with a 4.4-4.6 clock on air. I wouldn't go beyond that without water cooler. You could try to apply a fresh coat of thermal paste. If it's been a while it can dry up over time and not work as good . Use some Arctic silver 5. Curious though what voltage is your cpu running at?

#7 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:53 AM

Well with turbo set to on the cpu will have better dynamic overclocking and better cooling management with that. Typically you want to turn turbo off to get a much more stable OC. Reason why I asked. I would suggest turning it on. That 61c is not that bad really. A temp 70-80c is typical with a 4.4-4.6 clock on air. I wouldn't go beyond that without water cooler. You could try to apply a fresh coat of thermal paste. If it's been a while it can dry up over time and not work as good . Use some Arctic silver 5. Curious though what voltage is your cpu running at?

1.15 and the thermal paste is newly place.  I used the cooler master thermal paste that came with my cooler master hyper 212 evo.

I am planning on getting a better air cooler.  When I get it, I'll add the arctic silver 5 to it.  I have two of them in my desk anyway.  I just wanted to try the cooler master thermal paste. 

I just don't temperatures going towards 70.  Once it hits 70, I normally try to find a way to cool it.  I was the same way with my AMD A8-3870k but this cpu never passed 70. . .until my fans died. . .then it hit 80.

Edited by CalusBlade, 25 December 2015 - 12:56 AM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:05 AM

The Arctic silver 5 seems to hold out pretty well. With a sudden jumps like that it sounded like fan or thermal transfer problems between the heatsink cpu. Maybe the fan isn't putting out enough air flow. Instead of blasting out dust I always clean them blades with a toothbrush cause sometimes it is just caked on there and will not come off. I thought about using silicone spray to see if that helps the fan blades with air flow and dust. I never got around to doing it & see if it makes any difference.

#9 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:24 AM

The Arctic silver 5 seems to hold out pretty well. With a sudden jumps like that it sounded like fan or thermal transfer problems between the heatsink cpu. Maybe the fan isn't putting out enough air flow. Instead of blasting out dust I always clean them blades with a toothbrush cause sometimes it is just caked on there and will not come off. I thought about using silicone spray to see if that helps the fan blades with air flow and dust. I never got around to doing it & see if it makes any difference.

I'll check my thermal paste when I can.  During stress test, core #2 (I think it was 2) is about 5 degrees higher than the other cores.  I know its not the fan since its a new fan.  I used AIDA64.

Edited by CalusBlade, 25 December 2015 - 01:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users