Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Diagnostic Test not running

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 miaheat3wade

miaheat3wade

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEG. I've posted on the forum before about the pc not booting. Im getting 2 error codes: 0xc00000e9 0xc000014c. It looks to be a hard drive problem. I was told to run the diagnostic test. I downloaded the Seatools forDOS iso file and burned it into a cd. I insert the cd into the faulty laptop and nothing happens. I don't know if Im doing anything wrong? What can I do? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:41 PM

Do you see the Sony logo at boot. If so try tapping either F11 or Esc at boot to see if it brings up a boot menu. If not tap F2. This should bring up your BIOS and in the boot section select your first boot device.

#3 miaheat3wade

miaheat3wade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:10 PM

I press F2 takes me to Bios but boot menu is very limited. I only see  a Boot Configuration submenu and Boot Priority submenu. Internal Optical Disc Drive is first in Priority.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

I would burn an iso of PartedMagic. On a Windows 7 computer you can burn the iso by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. You can also use a USB flash drive with Rufus to create a bootable USB. 

When running Rufus make sure your USB flash drive is in the first box. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Allow Quick Format. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file of PartedMagic.  Press Start. Backup any data you have on the USB flash drive as it will be formatted.

Attach the USB and boot the computer. When you get to the Parted Magic desktop click on the Disk Health icon. Do a short and long test. Under the attributes tab look for any red or pick rows.

What OS is this computer running?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 December 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#5 miaheat3wade

miaheat3wade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

I would burn an iso of PartedMagic. On a Windows 7 computer you can burn the iso by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. You can also use a USB flash drive with Rufus to create a bootable USB. 

When running Rufus make sure your USB flash drive is in the first box. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Allow Quick Format. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file of PartedMagic.  Press Start. Backup any data you have on the USB flash drive as it will be formatted.

Attach the USB and boot the computer. When you get to the Parted Magic desktop click on the Disk Health icon. Do a short and long test. Under the attributes tab look for any red or pick rows.

What OS is this computer running?

It was running windows 10

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

Did this computer originally come with Windows 8 or 8.1? If it did you will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI/BIOS and Quick/Fastboot if that setting is available. You mayalso need to enable Legacy or CSM boot in order to get your Seatools disk to boot or the Parted Magic disk/usb flash drive.

#7 miaheat3wade

miaheat3wade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

Did this computer originally come with Windows 8 or 8.1? If it did you will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI/BIOS and Quick/Fastboot if that setting is available. You mayalso need to enable Legacy or CSM boot in order to get your Seatools disk to boot or the Parted Magic disk/usb flash drive.

It originally came with Windows 7

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

Then you should be able to boot the Parted Magic disk or USB flash drive.

#9 miaheat3wade

miaheat3wade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

Then you should be able to boot the Parted Magic disk or USB flash drive.

Created the Parted Magic disk and still the same result. Wont boot it.

I think i'll just buy a new hard drive

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:04 PM

Even if the hard drive was bad, you should still be able to boot a disk or USB flash drive. You are going to need to get the optical drive or USB flash drive to boot in order to install the OS to the new drive.

#11 miaheat3wade

miaheat3wade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

Ok so it started to boot after several tries. Looks like it got stuck trying to boot. Says kernel panic - not syncing : vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (2,0)

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

This seems like it's more of a hardware issue outside of the hard drive. Do you still get a kernel panic if you use this earlier version of Parted Magic.

#13 miaheat3wade

miaheat3wade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

Yes kernel panic again.

This seems like it's more of a hardware issue outside of the hard drive. Do you still get a kernel panic if you use this earlier version of Parted Magic.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

Have you tried using the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive? If that gives a kernel panic then download Hirens here. When you boot it will give you a Hard Disk Tool menu you can access to do a disk diagnostic. 

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

#15 miaheat3wade

miaheat3wade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:29 AM

Have you tried using the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive? If that gives a kernel panic then download Hirens here. When you boot it will give you a Hard Disk Tool menu you can access to do a disk diagnostic. 

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Hey! So it works like a charm off the usb. I am in the process of running the short and extended self tests. I am quite lost on what comes after. Thanks for all your help by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users