Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Free Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 hena

hena

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

Looking for free antivirus that detects lots of stuff without false positives

Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2015 - 12:49 PM.
Moved from Gen Sec to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:40 PM

For paid, I would recommend "ESET NOD32".

For free, I would recommend "AVAST Antivirus".

For absolutely not any False Positives, I recommend "Microsoft Security Essentials". (Windows Vista & 7)

In Windows 8 & 10, Microsoft Security Essentials is being replaced by the built-in "Windows Defender".

Ask yourself how much digital protection you need.

Not any AV Software can protect you 100%, the best security is the user itself. Do not randomly click on unknown links and so on.

#3 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,417 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

And you could install Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to run alongside your traditional anti-virus or anti-malware products.

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:Here are links to BC polls:I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 russ0408

russ0408

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

I noticed no one is using or recommending 360 total Security?. On the other sites I frequent I notice a lot of folks there think it's Number 1 free antivirus. Now I see the new updated version blocks PUPs. I don't use it I use AVG 2016 Internet Security. I was just curious,

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

Qihoo is a Chinese-based provider of free security and Anti-virus software (360 Total Security, 360 Internet Security, 360 Browser, 360 Security, 360 Mobile Safe, 360 Vault, etc). There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Qihoo to include it's reporting other anti-virus software and search tools as being malicious, deceptive marketing practices and various privacy issues.

AV Comparatives, AV TEST and Virus Bulletin make allegations of inappropriate behavior by Qihoo 360

...three of the worlds most renowned and trusted security testing bodies, AV Comparatives, AV? TEST and Virus Bulletin, stand united to censure security vendor Qihoo 360 after finding the firm submitted products for comparative and certification testing which behaved significantly differently from those made available to its users and customers. The three testing bodies will revoke all certifications and rankings awarded to the companys products so far this year, and going forward will insist on more open and fair dealings to ensure users are provided with the most accurate information possible. Investigations by the three labs found that all products submitted for testing by Qihoo had one of the products four available engines, provided by Bitdefender, enabled by default, while a second, Qihoos own QVM engine, was never enabled. This included versions posted to ostensibly public sections of the companys websites....

More information in these articles:

#7 hena

hena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

And you could install Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to run alongside your traditional anti-virus or anti-malware products.

Already Have It

Also, I installed WD. Thanks everyon!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#9 hopper15

hopper15

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:15 PM

Avast and Malwarebytes is the best combo

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

Avast and Malwarebytes is the best combo

That is only an opinion and many will disagree.

#11 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:41 AM

I noticed no one is using or recommending 360 total Security?. On the other sites I frequent I notice a lot of folks there think it's Number 1 free antivirus. Now I see the new updated version blocks PUPs. I don't use it I use AVG 2016 Internet Security. I was just curious,

360 total security is very popular among Chinese users, but only because it is one of the earliest AV software developed by Chinese, and it is totally free. 

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

Just because a program is popular does not mean it is good or effective.

#13 prasen

prasen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

I use Microsoft Security Essential and Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Anti Exploit Premium.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

IMO Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups.

#15 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

I recommend you Avast free antivirus latest edition 2016 , Malwarebytes Premium  and as a strong way of protection  Comodo free firewall with Comodo  secure DNS active behind a NAT Firewall  (broadband router) :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users