Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best softwares for optimizing my Windows 10 Pro?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shivang Goley

Shivang Goley

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

Does anybody can help me by getting the list of some of the best tools or programs for my windows 10.

(I already tried Advanced System Care, Advanced System Optimizer, CCleaner).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You should not need any 3rd party software to optimize a Microsoft OS, there are plenty of tools built into every Microsoft OS.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:07 AM

Rocky asks a good question.   I can understand why someone would want CCleaner to do occasional cleanups of orphan temporary files, browser cache, and other clutter that builds up on any Windows system over time not due to Windows itself, but because not all software is at all good at cleaning up after itself.  I no longer use any "Registry Cleaning/Optimizing" features after having read about those at length in these very forums and coming to believe that most often they do nothing from a functional perspective or do more harm than good.

I do have copies of Spywareblaster and Malwarebytes on my machine, the first to help prevent infection and the second in case I should, by chance, ever get one that is somehow not prevented by Spywareblaster or caught by Windows Defender.

Other than that I have never seen a need to try to "optimize" any version of Windows since Windows 7.

Edited by britechguy, 24 December 2015 - 11:08 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

This applies to any registry cleaning/optimizing software suite which includes anti-virus/anti-malware protection.

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often bundled with other software you download and most are considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware.

If you have downloaded and scanned with a registry cleaner, any detection results should be viewed with suspicion.

If you have been using such a program routinely...there is no telling what damage it has already done to your registry and other areas it purports to clean. My personal recommendation would be to remove any such programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

How to Optimize Performance in Windows 10: <- always ignore any recommendations for using optimizing tools

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

Just as an example regarding registry cleaners and there ineffectiveness, I had an XP computer with multiple .NET framework installs. I uninstalled all of them and then used a registry cleaner to delete thousands of additional entries. I then compressed the registry. There was no noticeable decrease in boot times. In fact, you can slow your boot time down because removing registry entries with a cleaner causes the registry hives to become fragmented. The only time you should be removing entries is if solves a booting issue or malware infection. For the registry, the moto is "If it aint broke, don't fix it"

#7 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:15 AM

For the most part the majority are "snake oil" and worse.

CCleaner does what it's supposed to, gets rid of junk on your computer. It's been around a long time, with no complaints.

A lot of the others install unwanted programs, ie. IoBit Uninstaller also installs Advanced SystemCare on your PC, whether you want it or not.

Some change system settings for the worse, and even install malware and spyware.

Bill

#8 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

Although I first started using computers in the early days of the Sinclair Spectrum that does not mean I am to the slightet extent an expert. So I rely very heavily on the support given in forums like this, plus a few other sources.Topmost are Bleeping and a magazine here in the UK called 'Computer Active' (plus its sister 'Web User'.) I am sorry to say Microsoft's Community Forums and other help are well down my list.
During th past few weeks 'Computer Active' has run a number of articles about IOBit software, specifically strongly recommending ASC, Uninstaller and Spyware Removal. At much the same time another of 'my advisors' Tim Fisher (Tim the Tech) who has a weekly page on Facebook and writes articles for PCSupport,About.com gives strong support to IOBit Uninstaller. 
I have been aware of IOBit's questionable past and the opinions expressed here.' Computer Active' made reference to IOBit's reputation too but takes the view that they have reformed and put right much of what was wrong. I have just started on a six month trial of ASC. It is too early to have come to conclsions, I do not know if I will continue with it when the trial ends. My decision will not be based on technical knowledge as I have said. It will be no good arguing with me because I wont understand. A major factor which influences me is how good the support is ---I  have been very pleased with this so far.
I have used several 'suites' of computer management tools for a number of years without encountering problems. Each set of programs has something distinctive to offer, I have not used  Reg Cleaners for a long while because I accept the informed concensus about them, now reinforced by Microsoft's announcement. I do know that there are some packages which are just a con, but would not apply that label to CCleaner for example. 
Although it is not true that there are 'two sides to every argument' I think it may apply in this case. I have felt that the technically savy may underestimate the usefulness of  a least a few management suites to thos of us who have limited expertise.

Edited by clayto, 05 February 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#9 SergiuDan

SergiuDan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

PEOPLE BEWARE!!! I got really close to losing everything on my Windows 10 Pro laptop, because of Iolo's unoptimized Syestem Mechanic Pro 15.5, for this OS.Really they do not update their software, ever.The program always says it has the latest updates even after months of Windows updates and new possible errors that could appear. I scanned my registries with Total Registry Revitalizer tool from this program. I was prompted to restart and got the BSOD with "Page fault in non paged area" error,right when it wanted to enter that state before boot when it compacts the System Hive.This happens because Windows cannot find essential RAM information so it cannot boot properly.So Windows restarted after collecting error info and hit the BSOD with "BAD_POOL_CALLER". Fortunately it booted up eventually after attempting a repair. Immediatly after that I contacted Iolo,but I got an answer after two days.When they replied ,they instructed me to send them some log files and that was all,no actual help.I sent those files with the hope of a fix.I made the mistake of scanning my system again and this time Windows hit the BSOD error ,with "BAD_POOL_CALLER" and entered a loop refusing to boot.This time I got really pissed of.I had to reset my Windows and so I lost all my installed programs.Their answer after "analyzing" those log files was actually a question ,whether I have Windows installation media or not.I urged them to refund me.Now they said they "escalated" the issue and another 3 days have passed without an answer.This company does not give a sh*t about their customers.Is this the way a respected company with capable software engineers, treats its customers?! I don't want people to say I promote another company, but look at Symantec.They answer and address questions and issues right away with their instant chat, without asking for more money like Iolo does.And many honest companies do the same.The customer support makes all the difference. Now I really start to question whether this company is legit or a total scam,with their Windows wrecking softwares. PEOPLE BEWARE!!!

#10 oneduality

oneduality

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

I created an account just for this, I don't know how you're having that experience because I've been using system mechanic pro for a few years, they issue updates every few weeks in my experience and I've never had a single issue, I ran it on Windows 7 professional and now I run Windows 10 Enterprise and I never have any problems, I do review every action however and I don't just blindly let it do everything it wants.  I will skip a suggestion sometimes, but not often.

I'm now up to version 17.0.1.11 and the last update was about 6 days ago, I can't say that I like it any better than ccleaner pro, but it seems to do a little more.

I don't doubt you had the problem you mentioned, but if you weren't getting updates then that seems like there might be some kind of issue on the system because I've never had that experience, updates come regularly in my case and they have been for a few years.

I used to use Symantec but for years it's been bloatware, just way too much.. especially if you go with the security suite. I worked for an ISP and most of the issues they had were related to that. But to be fair that was long ago, I like lightweight software..  Ultimately it's whatever works for you.   I don't promote any particular software, I actually found this thread because I was looking for something effective and lightweight that didn't cost a fortune for optimizing overall performance.  I just saw the comment about system mechanic and was surprised since I've been using it for so long and my experience is the opposite.. I can't speak for their support though, I've never had to use it.

PEOPLE BEWARE!!! I got really close to losing everything on my Windows 10 Pro laptop, because of Iolo's unoptimized Syestem Mechanic Pro 15.5, for this OS.Really they do not update their software, ever.The program always says it has the latest updates even after months of Windows updates and new possible errors that could appear. I scanned my registries with Total Registry Revitalizer tool from this program. I was prompted to restart and got the BSOD with "Page fault in non paged area" error,right when it wanted to enter that state before boot when it compacts the System Hive.This happens because Windows cannot find essential RAM information so it cannot boot properly.So Windows restarted after collecting error info and hit the BSOD with "BAD_POOL_CALLER". Fortunately it booted up eventually after attempting a repair. Immediatly after that I contacted Iolo,but I got an answer after two days.When they replied ,they instructed me to send them some log files and that was all,no actual help.I sent those files with the hope of a fix.I made the mistake of scanning my system again and this time Windows hit the BSOD error ,with "BAD_POOL_CALLER" and entered a loop refusing to boot.This time I got really pissed of.I had to reset my Windows and so I lost all my installed programs.Their answer after "analyzing" those log files was actually a question ,whether I have Windows installation media or not.I urged them to refund me.Now they said they "escalated" the issue and another 3 days have passed without an answer.This company does not give a sh*t about their customers.Is this the way a respected company with capable software engineers, treats its customers?! I don't want people to say I promote another company, but look at Symantec.They answer and address questions and issues right away with their instant chat, without asking for more money like Iolo does.And many honest companies do the same.The customer support makes all the difference. Now I really start to question whether this company is legit or a total scam,with their Windows wrecking softwares. PEOPLE BEWARE!!!

Edited by oneduality, 22 August 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

Hi, the post from Rocky #2, said it all. You can maintain your computer using the built in utils, the links in post #5 point to modifications which will enhance your computers performance if they are applicable to your user requirements. I use some of them myself and some I must admit I wrote.

The simple way to explain why you don't need to use third party utils, is to consider the millions of computers running very well without them. If you do not use system mechanic (and you should not) then you will have no problems.Using it leaves you open to having problems. You see the benefits of these programs are difficult to measure, when we wrote the registry (many years ago) we created it as a database, and as such invalid and empty entries will be ignored, there are times when the registry does need modification, this is done by people who know what they are doing, (cleaning valid entries from an uninstall of an AV program for example, using the developers uninstall util). 

Many registry tweaks exist, most are safe although if you do not understand, how are you going to make the right decision? It is this desire to improve your computing experience that leads people to seek out third party utils, who offer to do this for them.

Forums like this offer free advice so you should use them, many forums have excellent qualified members, and you get an honest assessment.

In summary the benefits of using optimizes is questionable, the possibility of creating problems is very real, so logic say's do not use them. Many threads on forums begin with "I used a reg cleaner now..." 

Edited by jenae, 23 August 2017 - 01:26 AM.

#12 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

Does anybody can help me by getting the list of some of the best tools or programs for my windows 10.

(I already tried Advanced System Care, Advanced System Optimizer, CCleaner).

here is where you made your first mistake:   advanced system care, advanced system optimizer - all are crap!  they install malware/adware.

your now at the point you need to do some malware/adware cleaning.   on this website in the download section look for:

JRT (junkware removal tool) & ADWcleaner & Malwarebytes.

run JRT first

then run ADWcleaner it will ask you to reboot

if adwclean finds anything, then re-run the program again after it reboots and keep doing it until it finds ZERO infections.

then do malwarebytes after you get cleaned up with ADWcleaner.

then it's probably a good Idea to do a defrag after all the cleaning.

I DO NOT USE OPTIMIZERS at all they are all crap and like I said full of malware/adware!

this will fix most issues if your having problems with a computer that running slow, lagging, and just doing weird things.

Edited by mightywiz, 23 August 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,095 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

FYI...Shivang Goley was the original posted who started this topic two years ago and has not been around since May 2016.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users