Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Upgrade - Need Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gibral33

Gibral33

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:07 AM

Hello guys,

So my brother have birthday soon and because I have limited funds at the moment I have decided to buy him a little bit more ram for his computer because simply 2GB for the current games and tasks is not enough any more. This are the specs:

Athlon II x2 250 3.0 Ghz

Asus M4A88T-M

2GB Ram

Radeon R7 260 GDDR5 1GB VRam

How much would 4 GB and 8 GB of ram cost ?

Is it worth buying a new processor in this case AMD AM3 Phenom II and how much it would cost ?

P.S Can someone throw a links at Ebay/Amazon UK please ?

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

When you upgrade your RAM, it is recommended that the same speed, latency and brand of RAM is used for optimum performance. What is the model of the RAM that you use? 32-bit or 64-bit OS?

You have create a duplicate topic here. Please do not create multiple topics for the same question.

Mod Edit:  Deleted dupe - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2015 - 08:26 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 Gibral33

Gibral33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

I dunno which Ram it has but I know that I have installed Windows 7 x86 on it which is 32 Bit.

P.S Sorry for duplicate but I have posted here then tried to delete the one in another section in advanced settings but couldn't find "Delete Thread" option.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

Almost any Phenom II X4 would be good CPU upgrade. Availability is not very good as Phenom II CPU's are not manufactured since 2011.

As for memory, 2*4GB DDR3 with at least 1333 MHz is quite cheap and OK.

#5 Gibral33

Gibral33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

Almost any Phenom II X4 would be good CPU upgrade. Availability is not very good as Phenom II CPU's are not manufactured since 2011.

I will be getting Phenom II x4 someday this week for free.

Would this 8GB do it ? Link. By the looks of the ram I suspect that I even might have the same one in another computer. Now the question is will the linked ram fit into the motherboard ? It says CL10 DIMM in the description of the item those making me confused about it. Does this CL10 DIMM has anything to do if it will fit or not into the Ram Slot ?

Thanks and really appreciate your help.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

I will be getting Phenom II x4 someday this week for free.

Would this 8GB do it ? Link. By the looks of the ram I suspect that I even might have the same one in another computer. Now the question is will the linked ram fit into the motherboard ? It says CL10 DIMM in the description of the item those making me confused about it. Does this CL10 DIMM has anything to do if it will fit or not into the Ram Slot ?

Thanks and really appreciate your help.

That fits. That is 8 GB module though so unless you are planning to expand memory to 16GB, consider 2*8GB dual kit.

CL has nothing to do with compatibility. Also I recommend to take out that 2GB memory and replace it with 8GB, probably less problems.

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:12 AM

32-bit OS can't support more than 4GB of memory, you will need a 64-bit operating system to utilize all 8GB RAM. This is the 4GB one.

P.S Sorry for duplicate but I have posted here then tried to delete the one in another section in advanced settings but couldn't find "Delete Thread" option.

You can use the "Report" button to report the topic and have moderator to delete it.

Edited by batman1234, 27 December 2015 - 04:13 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,350 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

Missed that 32-bit thing. Anyway you can reinstall Windows 7 64-bit and that will support at least 16GB. Same license key works with 32- and 64-bit versions.

#9 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:06 AM

Also please note that to go from 32-bit to 64-bit you need to clean install, which erase all data on the hard drive. You have to backup anything important first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users