Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Signal help and advice

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:56 AM

Hi

Windows 8.1

Linux Mint 17.1

Service Provider MTN

Having lots of issues with my connections and my signals, I will try and be as precise as possible.

I have a laptop with W8.1 on and it uses a usb modem to connect, the signal strength is reasonable 3G

but not brilliant, the light display is a fixed blue an the modem fixes direct to the laptop USB.

I have a desktop with Linux 17.1 on and I use the same modem as the above, I just disconnect from

one and re-connect to the other and it is connected via a 4 port USB Hub (I have tried each port as well as direct to the PC)

On my Linux the signal strength is atrocitious staying mainly in the flashing green and sometimes fixed green

never blue and disconnecting repeatedly. I am unable to get my updates and the download rates are mostly in the

bps range and jumping ocassionally into the Kbps range.

I am confused as both the computers are next to each other so surely the signal strength picked up should be

the same (or am I wrong).

I have tried different options in the settings for the signal i.e (Automatic) & (WCDMA only) both work fine but Automatic 

fluctuates into the 2G strength and the WCDMA remains 3G.

I am approx. 2kilometres from the tower and can actually see it clearly from my home.I have no problems with my cell

phones but unsure how the cell phone signal and the internet signal work (are they both the same) or do they get received

the same and converted differently (maybe a dumb question)

thanks all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users