Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wavering faith in humanity

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:35 AM

Lately I've been struggling with feelings of misanthropy because of terrible things such as all the mass shootings.

But With all the wonderful scientific discoveries and acts of random kindness from humanity such as Utah giving homes to the homeless it gives me some hope. :)

Although at the same time there's a influx of despicable, disgusting acts of selfishness, self destructive tendencies and complete nihilistic behavior such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership which would give corporations sovereignty over nations allowing them to sue governments if there are laws that negatively impact future profits such as food safety and environmental protection laws.
Or the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act which removes the middleman for data collection for the NSA and other government agencies (before they had to go through the Department of Defense) which in my opinion is a colossal waste of money with the previous spying bill AKA the Patriot Act didn't do much to stop terrorism and more spying won't help either, Its money that should spent elsewhere like trying to prevent asteroids, comets and meteors from hitting the earth something that can unite us as a species instead were only instilling more distrust by spying on each other constantly.
Then theres social media or should I call it antisocial media, there are extremist authoritarian groups on both the left and right spectrum whom will attack anyone who simply disagrees with them or says something that annoys or offends them, then claiming that being annoyed or offended is the same as discrimination clearly these people don't understand the meaning of the word discrimination.
It reminds me of my attitude when I was in Middle School everything annoyed and offended me I was a hypersensitive jerk but two of my teachers recondition me not to take everything out of context and let things slide after all life is too short to always be ticked off.
But that's part of the problem with social media it can work like a feedback loop if all you do is talk to people who share your exact views, You cant grow that way. And its a similar situation with politicians, We have legalized bribes AKA lobbyist/super PACs shoot there's a revolving door for politicians and lobbyists. Talk about a conflict of interest.
In the next few decades about half of the species on Earth will go extinct and that includes the oceans and if plankton and other microorganisms start to die off this would trigger a mass extinction just look at all the plastic waste in the oceans many small fish consume this plastic and they poison themselves in the process and as larger fish eat them the toxicity builds as it goes up the food chain. I'm sorry to say but our time might be up, Homo Sapiens will be like the dinosaurs in the next century and most of this is brought on by our irresponsible, selfish and destructive nature. No need for a supernatural or extraterrestrial force to wipe us out, our own arrogance is to blame.

Please share your thoughts especially if its inspirational or positive news.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

Nature looks beautiful from afar, but up close it's violent. Inorganic material is deadly to organic life (eg: Hutchinsonite, a dangerous mineral), and to itself (eg: water eroding solid rock). Organic life is the same, deadly to inorganic material (eg: a plant growing in rock, and eventually breaking it apart), and to itself (eg: the food cycle, one thing eats another in an endless bout of recycling). In the case of organic life, if a species is lucky enough to have no enemy strong enough to keep it's numbers in check (eg: Humans), a sick twist of fate makes it becomes it's own enemy, competing one against the other for limited resources. :( Existence is about warring.

It's not surprising that so many people do aweful things. The world is harsh, and a fairly aweful place, and that breaks some people, poisons them. The best one can do is set a positive example, take care of those we love, and try not to let the bad poison us too. This helps make society a pleasant place. The world underneath still sucks, but together we make it more tolerable. There will always be bad things happening in the world, but as long as these horrible things make us sad, afraid, and angry, I think the human race will be okay.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

hollowface has said it very nicely, nothing more to add.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:53 AM

Thanks hollowface those are some very inspirational words. :)

On a side note even virus eventually reach equilibrium. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nt71w4tqt8&app=desktop

#5 eClySe

eClySe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Don't lose hope in humanity, be the hope of humanity. =)

#6 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

SuperSapien64, on 24 Dec 2015 - 01:35 AM, said:
. . . struggling with . . . terrible things . . . But . . . wonderful scientific discoveries . . . acts of random kindness . . . homes to the homeless . . . hope. :)  . . . despicable, disgusting acts of selfishness, self destructive tendencies . . . corporations sovereignty . . . food safety . . . environmental protection . . . . . . social media . . . antisocial media . . . extremist . . . groups . . . will attack anyone who . . . disagrees with them . . . something that annoys or offends . . . is the same as discrimination

@ SuperSapien64,

You appear to be a little discouraged.  Take care, my friend, as depression can soon follow.

To borrow a phrase from Robert Heinlein:  The World is a Harsh Mistress.

Humanity is not the only species that kills it's own.  Colonies of insects with go to war with each other.  Ants will attack any other ant that does not belong to their own army.  Male lions will kill young cubs, to prevent them from challenging for rule of the pride.  Even chimpanzees have been known to fight to the death over leadership of the troop.

Humans, however, are the only ones who engage in self destruction as a "Social" activity.  As recently as 100 years ago, war was considered a "Man's Game!"  Young men marched off to glory.  Too many never returned.

That being said, I can tell you something with absolute  certainty.  THERE IS MORE GOOD IN THE WORLD, THEN THERE WILL EVER BE EVIL!

We, as a species, have one thing that the ants do not have.  We have a choice!

Yes, there are horrible things going on in the world.  But the number of good things that happen far out pace the bad.  You just don't hear about them, as much.

Some will say that is because the good stuff does not attract attention.  Maybe so, but I feel that we need to hear about all the bad things.  

Not because they attract viewers on TV, or are popular on twitter or youtube.  We need to know about them, because they are horrific.

We need to know how they happen.  We need to know why they happen.  

We need to know this, in order to prevent them from happening again.  

And we need to remember them, so that they will never happen again.

So, take a breath.  Relax.  The fact that you have a conscience is a sign the you have chosen the good.

If you still have doubts, I recommend getting involved.  The best way to feel good is to do good.  Become a Big Brother/Sister, a Scout/Guide Leader, a Community Volunteer, Meals on Wheels, volunteer some time to others.  It will make a difference in your life.

Cheers!

Naught McNoone.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Humans are the end result of billions of years of evolution.   We have survived an ever changing planet.  The ground we walk on, the air we breathe have all given rise to all manner of life, driven by the changes that force us to adapt to those changes to survive.  We as a species will continue on into millennia.  We are however, animals, somewhat advanced in intelligence but still subject to NATURAL INSTINCTS that determine or reactions to serious matters.  Unfortunately, those advances also include ways to kill each other and invent ways to kill millions.  The animals survive by skill, cunning and instinct, so do humans.

#8 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

I've always thought the worst of people, and very very occasionally I have been wrong.

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:13 PM

I hope our species will sooner than latter grow up and mature. Because in a hundred years the environment will be inhospitable for us.

#10 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:06 AM

I don't think the world isn't harsh holloface. I think people have made it that way.

To me we are at a point where we can keep going down this dangerous path we are on of war and violence and we will be no more or we can make things better.  When Humans reach the level we have of thinking beings is war really us? or a lower animalistic level?

This Society people have made in a whole is bad the rich feed of the poor who keep them rich to me again I spot animal behavior not a caring thinking intelligent being.

I think humanity is capable of great things it is just being sent in the wrong direction by governments and big business and the want for greed.

Existence isn't about war it is about balance and we have upset that with overpopulation and plundering of natural resources.

I look at a forest and see the opposite of what you do I see balance something dies and it is used to make something else live when you upset this balance it causes a trickle effect that can harm all things in the chain. 

If governments are meant to set an example it's not a good one they set, sanctioned killings, war, hacking and worst of all greed is allowed to kill many in the world and harm the environment. Lets not forget if they ever start a nuke war nukes are so powerful now I don't think any would survive  surface side yet governments these people who you vote for and show confidence in who have made the world to the state it is in will hide till it is safe again and come out and do it all again. 

One of the stupidest sayings is "money makes the world go round" to me it is the total opposite it may one day make the world stop going round.

PS: I don't see a happy out come for any on earth.

Edited by HolyCowz, 19 January 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

You sound kinda like my friend HolyCowz he talks about a cultural revolution, even though a lot of our nature is built in it can exacerbated by our culture. I'm hoping that our species can mature in time to prevent our extinction in fact I have faith that we will achieve this. I only hope my faith is well placed.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 25 January 2017 - 10:49 PM.

#12 Mklangelo

Mklangelo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Embrace your misanthropy.  It's the only way you will completely know your fellow man.  Everyone is lovable (usually) when things are going well.  If you make the mistake of thinking you know someone based upon their actions when things are going according to their whim, think again.

It is a VERY thin veneer of civility we all wear.  It's the Social Contract  As soon as the trappings of civilization are stripped away, you will then know who you're dealing with.

Rousseau's Social Contract (Basically you agree give up some of your freedoms and rights to the government in exchange for the protection of your existing rights)  Watch what happens when that contract is broken and it won't take nearly as much as you might expect.   

All bets are off at that point.  

Most people in the US would be ready to raise up if you took their Smart Phone.  How on earth would they last without being un-entertained for the bulk of their day?  It would be like taking crack from a junkie.  That imaginary scenario would basically be a withdrawal reaction.  

Edited by Mklangelo, 31 January 2017 - 06:25 PM.

“Let us all be happy and live within our means, even if we have to borrow the money to do it with”

-Artemus Ward

#13 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:04 PM

Agreed Mklangelo a little bit of misanthropy is healthy.

#14 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 675 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Naught, you kinda hit the nail on the head. Generally people are good without outside influences of power, wealth or maybe corruption, but those are transient in a wider scheme of things.
Understand, I'm not educated to the degree that many here are (9 th grade education) )though will say that in many countries the 'common ' folks are those who really see how things are. They are usually extremely friendly and accommodating, sometimes proportional to whatever limiting government that they live under.
Something I've learned over the years, no matter how bad a mood you're in, whatever discouragement or pain turned your life all to hell that particular day (always temporarily), when interacting with people at the bank, grocery or wherever, joke and make them laugh to give them a good memory to take home. Hopefully that will overshadow those negative folks who broadcast their unhappiness with life and want to subject others around them to feel the same which for some strange reason one tends to focus on at the end of the day. Gotta fight that one and re-focus. :)
Bottom line, I belive in the faith of humanity,haven't been disappointed thus far.
More good than evil.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#15 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

Meant to add, when you try to brighten someone else's day regardless of your particular circumstance at that time, guess what? You come home feeling a lot better. Apologies BTW, don't quite know how to do the quote function here, though some do use it taking up real estate when communicative contunieuty is easy enough to follow from one adjacent post to another.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users