Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Certifications] CCENT, CCNA Routing & Switching and CCNA Security

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:43 PM

Alright so,

I'll be taking night classes starting in February to do the first 2 modules (Module 1 and Module 2) of the CCNA course. After that, I intend to take the CCENT exam, just so I can get my first certification. After that, I intend to take another class for Module 3 and Module 4, and then go get the CCNA Routing & Switching, and then I'll repeat the process (take a new class), but this time for CCNA Security. I was wondering if this is the right thing to do because I'm still confused as to wether or not, after getting my CCENT certification, I can start studying right away for CCNA Security. If so, does it means that it have a dedicated Module 3 and Module 4? Because if it does, I cannot find anything about that. A lot of people told me to get Routing & Switching first, since it'll help me when comes the time to get Security (and I can understand that), hence why I'm going that way. Unless CCNA Security also covers some domains of Routing & Switching I need to know about.

This being said, for those who have these certifications, is there any websites, exercices, books, hardware, etc. you would recommend me for these courses? That I should look at, buy, explore, etc. I feel like doing more than playing video games in my spare time (when I have some) and I would like it to be instructive toward my certifications and also help me in the courses.

Sorry to ask you all this in such a "rushy" manner, it's really late here and I'm quite tired :P

Thank you in advance :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

At this and this site, you can practice CCNA theory.

Edited by DefaultGateway, 27 December 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

Hi Aura,
Did you check out the cybrary ?

Pretty long answer for your quick query :) :wink:

I would recommend getting the accelerated CCNA (CCNAX - 200120) than the individual CCENT and CCNA exam path, but it's your convenience and schedule that must have to be considered. CCENT can serve basis for security, no need of RS cert.

Before buying any real device, consider below:

The well known simulators are Cisco packet tracer (intended for Cisco Network Academy distribution, but available to public via mon-official channels), GNS3 (The IOS images necessary will have to be downloaded desperately, via non-official channels)
That's the cheapest way of trading on realtime devices) Someone who has an account at Cisco Academy can help you on getting packet tracer v 6.2). GNS3 won't help with switches. It works only for routers(AFAIK)

You can also subscribe rented Cisco routers and switches on hourly basis, which will help if you have fixed free time dedicated to practice.

Again, before buying devices, go through the guide you choose to follow (my fav is Todd Lamlle) to get a better image of what you will need to expect in the practice sections.
Registering in a Cisco authorised training center will provide you official Cisco books, which will be just enough to support the theory parts. (IMO, friendly language, which I prefer, is lacking in wordings.)
IMO, building and cracking your own network is never replaceable by those software.
Buying the routers and switches(plus necessary cards, cables, etc) will help if you have enough budget to experiment a lot. E-bay has a lot of deals as are some sites that dedicated to teaching or guiding aspirants of Cisco certs. Be carefully to buy at least a 2 routers and switches (total of 4) with the necessary IOS images (CCNA sec needs slightly different feature set than RS )
And see through the replace/repair guarantee offered in case something went wrong even before you started to play with the devices.

Also, don't forget to be a part of Cisco Learning Network, join the study groups you have selected, watch the threads and discuss with the like minded.

RS lays the fundamental stones, so security will be easier.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/ccna-tool.html

And lastly, don't forget to browse videos in YouTube related to the topic you pick for the day.

Exam collections have the sample question brain dump. I strongly won't suggest it first hand, but go through it if necessary.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the reply Nikhil! :) Is this the accelerated CCNA you are referring to?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/exams/current-list/ccna-composite2.html

So basically, if I do Module 1 and Module 2, then grab my CCENT, I can do CCNA Security after without having to do R&S first? It seems that everytime I ask this to people, I always gets a different answer :P And thank for you for the forum, community, etc. information, I'll be sure to check them out. Also, a Network Admin at work shared his CBT Nuggers for CCNA ICND1 100-101 and CCNA ICND2 200-101 with me, so I'll watch the ones related to the class I just had right after it. I'm sure it'll help!

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:34 AM

Hi Aura,

Is this the accelerated CCNA you are referring to?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/exams/current-list/ccna-composite2.html

Yes, it is. :)

So basically, if I do Module 1 and Module 2, then grab my CCENT, I can do CCNA Security after without having to do R&S first?

Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices, Part 1 (ICND1) 2.0  refers to CCENT
Refer : https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications
            http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/training-events/exams/docs/assocCert_chgOview.pdf
Some discussions to get a clear picture of CCENT (ICND1) v2 is the prerequisite for CCNA Sec (and more):

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/learning_center/study_learn_content
 https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/518231#518231
 https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-20817
Still in doubt, you can get it cleared from cisco employees (at Learning network).

Also, a Network Admin at work shared his CBT Nuggers for CCNA ICND1 100-101 and CCNA ICND2 200-101 with me

:thumbsup: :lol:

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 30 December 2015 - 08:38 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

Posting back here to say that I started my classes now and I'll be looking at all the material that was linked in this thread to help me go through it :)

DefaultGateway, I did the first test on CCNA5 for fun (I didn't finish reading the first chapter yet), but I got 97.92% (47 on 48) so I guess I'm off to a good start!

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

Nice start....

Good luck! :thumbup2:

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

Aura have you gotten your CCNA yet?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#9 AOG_UK

AOG_UK

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

When doing CCNA I bought & set up a home router/switch kit off ebay, well worth the money to practice on.

Once you have CCNA remember it only lasts 3 years before you need to renew it.

CompTIA also offer a good route to go down.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

Aura have you gotten your CCNA yet?

Sorry for the delay. I completed the course, but I didn't attempt the cert. Right when I finished, I got put in task of a big project at work that needed me to do OT everyday, leaving me only 1h of free time per evening... so I couldn't focus on studying for the cert.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Well, do you need a study buddy? I'm prepping for CCNA Security?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Well, do you need a study buddy? I'm prepping for CCNA Security?

I don't have the time to study currently, but I might this Autumn, depending on what kind of project I'm being given at work :) And before studying for Security, I would need my CCNA :P

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Actually, all you would need is just your CCENT then you could go on to any Cisco Certification as your CCENT

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_in/training-events/career-certifications.html

A. Lattimore

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

I saw that. I've been told though that I should do my CCNA R&S first to make sure I understand everything correctly, and then give CCNA Security a go.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users