Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Old Works Documents in Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bad-People

Bad-People

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:42 PM

Had no idea here to put this, sorry. I just got a new computer, upgrading from Vista to Windows 8. However, after moving many of my old files created with Microsoft Works 9 over to my new setup I find I can't open any of them. I just get a message saying something like "The file could not be opened, it may be open in another program, may not something, something about converters, or the file might be corrupt." the it just opens a blank works page. That's what happens when I try Microsoft works. If I try word pad it opens it but it's just a jumbled mess.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:50 PM

Are these Works document files and spreadsheets? If they are Works document files I believe LibreOffice can open them. 

Did not Works 9 use Microsoft Word in the suite? If so then you should be able to open them in LibreOffice too.

Edit:Microsoft has Office Online for free. You need a Microsoft account though. They may open your works files.

https://www.office.com/

Click on the Word or Excel icon.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#3 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

LibreOffice seems to be working (big download though). Thanks. I'll update if anything goes wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users