Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compac c304nr can't load xp home

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 poldracker

poldracker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:39 PM

lost it all, hard drive the reinstall that came with this computer. I bought an xp home ed, but when trying to load I get the message, WINDOWS CAN'T FIND A HARD DRIVE. I had an xp-pro, but the coa won't match. Just to see, I loaded with no trouble, (except for the note "can't activate this illegal copy." (something to that effect.)

What do I need in order to put this legal copy of XP home on this computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

XP does not provide SATA drivers on the install disk as default. It's possible your XP Pro disk had the drivers slipstreamed. There are a couple of solutions.

One would be to go into BIOS and select IDE mode instead of AHCI if you have such a setting.

The other is to download the SATA drivers here. You want to download the f6flpy32.zip file. Unzip the file and slipstream the contents using nlite. You could install XP pro and do the slipstream with that. 

If you go to the support site for your computer you will notice a Intel Storage Manager under driver > storage that is 17mb. You cannot use this. I linked to the same version on intel's that has the floppy files for slipstreaming.

Edit: Another possible solution that may work is to partition and format the hard drive using a bootable Partition Wizard Disk. Once formatted and partitioned the XP install disk may pick it up.

Edit Edit: It looks like the zip file contains a image creator utility for a floppy disk. This will not work for you because you do not have a floppy drive. If you do not have access to a floppy disk and drive, I can create a disk and then copy the contents to Dropbox and provide the link. . 

Edit Edit Edit: I was able to extract all files using 7zip.No need for a floppy drive. I can attach the file as a zip if you need it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2015 - 09:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users