Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU overheating problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tron5

Tron5

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:15 PM

MSI a78m-e35

amd a8-5600k apu(stock heatsink)

corsair 430w psu

small case with front and rear fan

Very confused here my guess is a temp sensor, **Long story short** I never had a problem in the first 8 months since I've built this rig. Was gaming on this pc as I normally have with no problems and out of no where my whole computer crashes.. I go into BIOS its showing my cpu temp is 128c which is my first hint into being the temp sensor.. when I run speccy its showing idle temps at 42c but it is jumping from 42c to as high as 65c instantly and then cools back down to 42ish and does this over and over.. I have removed my heat sink cleaned everything really nice, reapplied Artic silver 5 and installed everything back correctly this I am sure of, all the wires are tucked away nicely to provide good airflow inside the case.Heat sink fan not making any strange noises seems to be moving air well when I feel around the sides of the heat sink.. moves freely when turned by hand when system is shut down. Any thoughts or questions?

Edited by Tron5, 23 December 2015 - 08:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TpMPSYtdSIWMPo5VrUKlxWI

its showing temps of 54c here but temps cooled down to 42c before i finished posting this

Edited by Tron5, 23 December 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#3 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

Also just tried to scan with Windows defender to check for any viruses they may have anything at all to do with it, and temp went to 86c so i just cancled the scan. :/

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

Make sure you are using the right amount of thermal paste- about the size if a grain of rice
. Then make sure the cooler is mounted correctly and making good contact with the cpu.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:42 PM

Yeah I did it twice actually just to make sure I didn't mess it up the first time, double and triple checked. It had the problem before I reseated it in the first place:/ it says the fan is spinning at 2000+ rpm's so idk if that sufficient or not.. Maybe fans going bad? I thought about trying a aftermarket cooling system but I didn't have the problem with the stock on there before so I don't want to spend money that I don't need too you know. Thank you for the reply :)

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

The fan could be going bad. Does the fan make any whining noises? A new cooling system would be cheap, the cooler master hyper 212 evo is only $18.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

No it sounds the same as it always has and now BIOS is showing normal cpu temps but speccy is what's going all over the place with the temps also HWmonitor is doing the same as speccy. I read the third party apps tend to be off on amd apu's but even with BIOS reading correctly the computer is still crashing after a few minutes of gameplay. I think I'm just going to get an aftermarket cooler anyways but still something has to be wrong as it wasn't having this problem in the first 8 months.. I don't want to just patch the problem id like to find out what it is. Thank you for the reply!

#8 Tron5

Tron5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:30 PM

Took out one of my RAM sticks and pc hasnt crashed at all, i think it is a bad RAM slot because when i removed my new RAM and put the old RAM back in it was crashing but i put it in the slot that is now empty.. could it possibly be full of dust since it was empty for the first 8 months i had the computer?? Ill get some canned air as soon as i can and try that out.. if worse comes to worse ill just return the 2 8gb sticks and get a single 16gb stick and use it in the good slot. Thank you all so much for all the help i really appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users