Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shut down and won't boot up anymore (details inside)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 reverse

reverse

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Greetings!

Some days ago, my computer suddenly shut down and it won't turn on anymore. I'm trying to determine what caused this, but my knowledge of hardware only goes so far, and I can't see any damage on the components with just my eyes (and even then, I'm not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt!).

If anyone could help me figure out what's wrong with it, I'd be extremely grateful. Here's some things about what happened:

-These are the specs of my computer, although they don't include my power unit, which is what I suspect being the issue. I'm not sure about the specifics of my power unit but I can easily read whatever's written on it if needed.

-When I try to turn the power on, there is no sound or beeping whatsoever. Nothing wil turn on, not even fans. Literally nothing happens.

-The mouse and keyboard lights are off.

-It's not a power outlet problem, I have tested this several times.

-It's probably not a power button problem, since the computer shut down abruptly while in use.

-There is a green LED on the GPU that is constantly on. (Does this mean power is being supplied? I have been told it's possible for this to happen even if the power unit is busted.)

-The computer shut down suddenly while I was playing a certain videogame at maximum settings. There was no performance drop whatsoever in the moments right before the shutdown. My PC's components met the requirements for this, save for having 0.10 GhZ less than recommended apparently. I had been playing like that for less than a couple of weeks.

-Right after it shut down, the power unit/cpu area was relatively hot to the touch, but not alarmingly so in my opinion.

-The computer is about 1 year old.

-I know there's tools to test wether the power unit is working or not, but I don't have them right now and it's not easy for me to get them right now. Before buying anything or having my computer checked by a professional, I would like to see what I can do on my own first at least to determine which part of the computer is broken. (I have had experience with assembling computers, so I know the basics and the dos and don'ts of dealing with hardware)

Here's hoping it's not the CPU or the Mobo...

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:15 AM

It's more likely the problems of the PSU, because you say that nothing happens at all when you turn on your computer. Do you have any computer to test the PSU?

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

If the CPU exceeds it thermal limit it will cause this type of shut down.

Have you tried to turn it on after it had been off for about an hour?

You haven't posted whether this is a laptop or desktop computer, please do.  If this is a OEM computer please post the make and model of it.  If this is a custom build please post the make and model of the motherboard.

If this is a desktop there are some tests you can use to determine if there is a problem with the PSU, the motherboard, or the power switch.

Do you have or have access to a voltmeter? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

Have you tried to turn it on after it had been off for about an hour?

I did, as I said it's been days already and the problem persists.

You haven't posted whether this is a laptop or desktop computer, please do.  If this is a OEM computer please post the make and model of it.  If this is a custom build please post the make and model of the motherboard.

If this is a desktop there are some tests you can use to determine if there is a problem with the PSU, the motherboard, or the power switch.

It is a custom-build desktop, the specs are linked in the original post. I don't know which model my motherboard is, can I find out by looking at it?

Do you have or have access to a voltmeter?

Sadly, no. As I said, I know about such tools, but I have no access to them currently. If it's the only alternative, I will look into it.

Edited by reverse, 24 December 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

If it doesn't start after being off that long then it isn't a overheating issue, unless it overheated to the point that it damaged the CPU.  But I'm inclined to think it is one of the three items I suggested, the PSU, Motherboard, or the power switch.

There is a way to see if the problem is related to the motherboard or power switch.

With the power cord unplugged from the PSU at the rear of the computer open the side of the case and turn off the power switch on the PSU.

Before you touch anything inside the case touch the bare metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

The 24 pin PSU connector attached to the motherboard needs to be detached.  There is a clip on the front of the connector which needs to be depressed in order to remove the connector from the PSU.

Once you have the PSU connector detached you will need a  paper clip.  You will need to place on end of the paperclip in the socket of the green wire, the other end needs to go into any black wire socket.  Make sure that the connector and paper clip are in a position where it won't short against anything.

Plug the PSU power cord back into the PSU, then turn on the PSU using the switch on the PSU.  If there isn't another problem the fans should turn on.

As soon as you determine whether the fans are on or not turn off the PSU and unplug the power cord from the PSU. 

If this works then the problem is either with the motherboard or the power switch.

If the PSU does not start, it has failed.

Remove the paper clip and reconnect the 24 pin connector to the motherboard.

If you follow the two leads from the power button to the motherboard you will see the two pins they are connected to.  Remove the two leads, reconnect the power cord to the PSU and turn the power switch to the on position.  Take a small flat blade screw driver and very briefly short the two pins where the power switch plugs in.  If the computer start normally the problem is with the power switch.  You will need to replace the switch.

Normally when you press the power button it short those two pins, this in turns shorts the green wire and a black wire initiating the start of the PSU and the computer begins the startup.

If you have any questions before trying this let me know.

If not, let me know the results.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

Thank you so much for your advice, I have only tried this test today so sorry for the late reply.

I did what you told me: discharged my static electricity, even wore latex gloves just in case, unplugged the 24-pin connector, inserted a bent paperclip's ends deep enough in the green cable pin and and one of the black ones, plugged in the power cord, turned on the PSU via rear switch.

The PSU's fan did not turn on.

I also noticed that after having turned it off for about 5 seconds, once the test was over, I could hear a brief sound coming from inside the PSU, not sure how to describe it, it definitely sounded like a brief powering-down noise. It's normal, right?

In order to verify wether I involountarily damaged anything, I put everything back in its place and once again turned on the PSU: everything seemed to be back to how it was before, meaning that the only thing that turns on in my computer is the green LED light on the graphics card.

Does this confirm that the problem is the PSU?

Any idea what might have caused it and how to avoid it in the future?

What kind of PSU would you recommend as a replacement, if the PSU is the problem?

Should I do the Power Button test anyway?

Once again, thank you SO much for the support, it's appreciated more than you could imagine.

Edited by reverse, 28 December 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

Motherboards usually has power led (might be green or something else), that turns on if MB receives power_good signal from PSU. If that led is off, then problem is very probably PSU. However not all motherboards have that kind of led.

Also, what is PSU manufacturer and model?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

If the paper clip was making good contact with the two sockets and it failed to spin up the case fan I would have to say it needs to be replaced.

One of the determining factors in choosing a new PSU will be your GeForce GTX 760 GPU.  The manufacturer suggest a PSU with a minimum of 500W at 20A.  Asking someone's opinion about what brand PSU to choose will result in everyone posting what they believe is a good PSU.  In this case I would suggest the Corsair CX serires CX600.  This is a 600w at 46A PSU which is rated at 80% Plus Bronze.

#9 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

I see.

Thanks a lot for the help!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

Let us know how you resolve this.

#11 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

I have ordered a new PSU, I will let you know if it really was the problem in the end as soon as it's delivered.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

I'll be around.

#13 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

Replacing the PSU has fixed the issue!

Thank you so much for your help!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users