Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puppy linux help

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

I would like to give linux a try and i have some old slow hardware that i would like to try it on.
I think puppy is kinda apealing because i can just put it on a flash drive and boot from that.

My question is what pupplet/virsson should I use. again I would like to just boot from a flash and run it on a dell dimention 2400.

If you think another virsion of linux alltogether would work better pease speack away.

thank you for the help.

Superking75

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 December 2015 - 06:25 PM.
moved from Linux How-To and Tutorial Section

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

Hi Superking75

How much ram has your PC got?

Try this.

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

This video will give you an idea of what puppy looks like.

Do you know how to put it on USB?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

I don't know off hand but i will check to ight or tomarow morning. I don't beleve it is a hole lot though. the pc is 10 years old.

I don't specificly how to put it on a  usb.

#4 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

Ok soory to change the subject a little but I think it would work better on my acer aspire 5733z-4851 laptop. has 4 GB of ram. I have some info in pics. not sure how good it really is.The problem with the dell is i don't have any way to get it hooked up to the internet. the router is a little far away.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:02 PM

Download this tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso

Then burn it to CD or DVD.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

After it is burned you will be able to boot both PCs with it.

You may have to set BIOS to boot from CD/DVD.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

Ok soory to change the subject a little but I think it would work better on my acer aspire 5733z-4851 laptop. has 4 GB of ram. I have some info in pics. not sure how good it really is.The problem with the dell is i don't have any way to get it hooked up to the internet. the router is a little far away.

What is up with the Dell? is there still XP installed, and do you want to keep XP?  That pc might be good for a Puppy experiment even though it is lacking in RAM, I see it might have 256 or 512 but would likely hold more if needed.  If you just want to boot from USB then either pc would be fine, thought the Dell might not boot Tahrpup.

You can also boot from a Full Linux Distro OS if you like, but it will be slower.  This will also take some guidance for most, so post back if you need.

If you want to try out a DVD also you can look at this:

I think the USB is a little nicer, but this gives you options. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561869/how-to-create-a-secure-multi-session-puppy-cd-with-updatable-firefox-browser/

This might help you get wifi or ethernet if you have any trouble by one of our Avisors Al000.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561690/how-to-use-frisbee-in-puppy/

This is a decent video on how to install to USB, and is by one of our members.  There is also another installer that will do the formatting also if you want, just say the word.  If you need to know where to get Official downloads for any software just ask.

Edited by pcpunk, 24 December 2015 - 02:43 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

To add to this Thread, Tahrpup now has 64bit also...which will work with superking75's pc if it is indeed 64bit - and from what I see it is.

Here all the downloads, it is second from the bottom.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/

And here is the direct download if anyone is confused.  As most of us know 64bit is blazing fast, and puppy is fast to start with!

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr64-6.0.5.iso

Edited by pcpunk, 24 December 2015 - 02:54 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

I am  thinking I will go with the USB.  The main reason I am questioning using the dell is because it has no wireless card and my router is in the middle of our living room. But if it wont really cause a problem i guess i could try a full install on their.  But i would also like to have a vision to a USB to use on my laptop, and possibly other pc's without messing with windows.

By the way i have a speccy report on the laptop is you would like to see it.

I was going to post some screen shots but i can't find how to put pictures from my PC to the post.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

Test the waters before you do a full install, and mention how you value XP, if you want to keep it, do you have Recovery Media, a Backup Image, Do you have important files on there etc.  Remember, you have Complete Access to your Windows Drive via. puppy...so be careful if you are exploring the file-system.  The benefit is that we can save files to the windows folders if we like, or just save them back to the file system on USB.  The Dell would be a good place to practice installs and just the basics etc. if you don't mind possibly messing up XP.

Not having internet will be very limiting if experimenting with puppy and installing any OS can be dangerous to the existing OS.  Perhaps you should stick with a LiveUSB and boot from the Laptop, or Dell just to get an idea of what it will be like.  Puppy will ask you if you want to save at the end of a session, this is for any software and settings that you have made during your use.  You don't have to Save but If you choose to Save, Save back to the USB just to be safe.  You can Save to any OS Folder on the drive/HDD, but that can be risky until more is learnt.  

I'm not real familiar with puppy, nor a computer pro...just trying to get you started.  There will be better help along soon.

Speccy Chart is always good to add to the start of a Thread, or at any time in a thread if desired.  It can also be put into your Signature so that it is visible at all your posts.

With screenshots, basically all you need to do is Host them to a Hosting site like PhotoBucket, here is a tutorial.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/#intro

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:04 PM

Ok to start the Dell has not bin used in at least 5 years. I really don't care what happens to Xp or  what ever else is on it. (If I had no interest in this i would just scrap it.) 

My  laptop is a 64-bit, or at least the the win-7 is. To put it on the usb would I just download the tar pup 64 and use that program with the iso option.

By the way thanks for the help.

#11 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Never mind on how I think i have it. I am downloading the Tahrpup 64 bit and I guess will put it on the usb drive when i get a chance.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

Yes, use that video and download the Unetbootin from here:  https://unetbootin.github.io/

Make sure you format the USB to Fat32 first, which will Delete anything on it.

Then of course you need to know how to boot from USB, there is also a Tutorial for that from britech as he explained.  Or post back if you need help.

Just reading up on 64bit Tahr, it might be better to use the one Nick provided.  There is just a few simple things needed to know to install some 32bit programs on the 64bit iso, but that is up to you, the speed difference is not much but it is there. 

Just read your post, keep it, the 64 is a bit better FAST! you'll love it.

Yes you have 64bit.  Also, the Dell might not be 64bit so won't be able to boot from that with 64bit.

pc out

Edited by pcpunk, 24 December 2015 - 04:24 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

Something to note, when you boot puppy...it will take a little while for it to load into RAM.  Once it loads it will rip along very fast.  Also, if you like, you can bypass all the setup just to take it for a spin, except for the wireless which you will want.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:31 PM

I am going to go ahead and go with the 64 bit. I am going to put it on the flash now.

#15 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

It is working. I am posting this from puppy on my laptop.

thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users