Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic's card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chibifoxkit

Chibifoxkit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:50 PM

Hey guys, quick question:

I need a new graphics card on my laptop, a Dell XPS series it currently has a Intel® 3000 and now my computer get's a bunch of lines and weird colors and I can't use half the screen at random. Anyone know what would work with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

I got good news and bad news. the bad news is you cant really upgrade graphics cards on laptops, theyre integrated into the motherboard 99 times out of 100, and the few times theyre not they are proprietary. The good news is, your problem might not be the graphics card, but the screen itself, which you can replace, if you get me your exact model number, I can probably link the exact screen you need as well as specific directions on how to swap them out.

Edited by the_patriot11, 23 December 2015 - 05:57 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Chibifoxkit

Chibifoxkit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

I sent it away before and they said they replaced the graphic's card; but let me describe the screen problem in detail. 

It doesn't always happen, only sometimes, a quarter of the screen goes black and it has really weird rainbow combination of colors that are kinda swirly and everything is still responsive..ish. The screen just crops off so the edge of the screen goes to the middle of the screen that's not black. There are some line bars too. This is why I thought it was the graphic's card. It happens at random too and all i need to do is restart the laptop!

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:00 AM

Its possible, but, if you move the screen back and forth, does the problem change? Get better or worse? If it changes when you move the screen the problem is likely the screen, if it stays the same it might be the graphics card.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Chibifoxkit

Chibifoxkit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:01 AM

Stays the same, thus the original reason I thought it was the graphic's card. I'm well aware most laptops have the graphic's card fixed to the mother board but is there a way to remove them?

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

If your good with a soder gun perhaps...I'm of the opinion if a laptop gets to that point it's time for a new one.

But one more test to be sure-does the laptop have the capability of hooking up to an external display? If so try that-if it hooks up to an external display and displays correctly you can definitely rule out the video card. If its still messed up then you can explore other options.

picard5.jpg

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:16 PM

If the operating system is Vista or Windows 7 boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists.

Safe mode uses a limited number of drivers and applications.  The graphics driver is uses is different from the one you normally would be using.  If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode you most likely are having a driver issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Chibifoxkit

Chibifoxkit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

It's windows 10 btw. I'll test it later. 

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

My few months as laptops phone tech within a computer company years ago, we would run across this quite rare situation:  a laptop's hinge area, there are two such areas, might be in the process of separating and/or simply oxidizing [?building up nonconductive material?] -- back then we were dealing with 5+lb laptops, don't know to check for those things now.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 December 2015 - 01:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

In Window 8.1 or Windows 10 you have to set the computer to boot into Safe Mode while the computer is running.

You will need to be using a admin account. 

In the Search box type in msconfig.

Clik/tap on the Boot tab.

Select Boot safe, click/tap on Apply, then OK.

If you are going to need to get online you will also need to select Network.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Chibifoxkit

Chibifoxkit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

I figured I should clarify something, I do have my A+, N+ and Sec+ and i've tried a lot of the obvious, I've just never come across this problem before. The reason I don't want to scrap this thing is it's only 2 years old and I spent about 1200 building it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users