Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternative e-mail programs.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

Since IE 11 is on it's way out I am going to have to find an alternate E-mail since mine are linked to my old Hotmail accounts. I was already having trouble with Edges email app takeing over my emails.

I only recently installed Firefox again but Thunderbird last time I used it started automatically started opening the e-mails in its preview mode. If the email contained bad stuff it automatically launched. I am not shure I want Thunderbird back on here.

Some suggestions please.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Am386SXL

Am386SXL

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

eM Client is one, although the free edition have some constraints compared to the full product. Give it a try if you're interested.

http://www.emclient.com/

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

Hi:

I only recently installed Firefox again but Thunderbird last time I used it started automatically started opening the e-mails in its preview mode. If the email contained bad stuff it automatically launched.

I've used Thunderbird for 100 years (give or take) and have never experienced that.

It sounds as if perhaps there might have been wonky settings or corruption or a misbehaving extension with your installation???

Like Firefox, Thunderbird is readily customizable with extensions and themes, both for appearance and for functionality and security.

Having said that, I add an additional layer of security (in addition to my AV, MBAM and MBAE) with a 3rd-party application called Mailwasher Pro.

Although its primary role is as a spam filter, I get precious little spam.

But the program also allows one to preview ALL incoming messages on the servers for multiple ISP/webmail/Exchange accounts (POP or IMAP) in one handy, customizable grid.

(One can also "quick forward" and "quick reply", etc.)

It's a tremendous time-saver.

But it of course provides added security, too: the rare spam message that makes it past ISP/webmail/Exchange filters can be deleted from the server without its ever having been downloaded onto my local system, let alone opened.

Just my two cents,

MM

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

Did you reset Thunderbird view to UNCHECK Message Pane?

I use eM Client for my ISP email. Free edition for me, which will support only 2 email accounts.

If you want to add more than 2 you will have to purchase it.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

Windows Live Mail (the freestanding program that's a part of Windows Essentials) isn't half bad.  There is no indication that Microsoft is going to pull support for this program in the foreseeable future.  It is completely separate from the Live Mail that followed hotmail somewhere in the progression and that had @live.com as its postfix.

I've used Thunderbird and have never had the behavior you've described, either, as its default.  Even the preview pane never launched anything from embedded links or attachments.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

I used Firefox and Thunderbird for about 8 years my self. Never before had I experienced this until it started happening on my Vista machine about 2 weeks before Firefox and thunderbird quit working.

If an e-mail automatically opens before you can check the headers or anything and it contains malicious code or script it would be able to launch that code or script.
These forums and others say never open an unknown e-mail. If it automatically opens the email what good is that advice?

While I have said I can not read code I mean good enough or fast enough to work as an analyst.
A couple of the e-mails I looked at were badly written exploits and actually would not launch but did contain C++ code.
And 2 more were scripts that they forgot to close the script so it could not launch either.

Until then I had been a staunce supporter and believer in Mozzilla products.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

As an aside I thought windows 10 did not support windows essentials.
At least that is what it told me when I tried to install it on 10 two different times or is this a different essentials?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:13 PM

As an aside I thought windows 10 did not support windows essentials.
At least that is what it told me when I tried to install it on 10 two different times or is this a different essentials?

The only thing I've installed from Windows Essentials on my Win10 machine is Windows Live Mail.  OneDrive, which is a part of Windows Essentials, comes standard on Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Once you click the link above you'll be able to tell me/us whether we're talking about two different Windows Essentials.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

My apologies we must be talking 2 different things. Never saw that page before. I was referring to windows security essentials. Not shure I can even run that on here. It said a minimum of a 1.6 MHZ processor I only have a 1 MHZ processor.2 core Also may be why win 10 Mail app would not work right for me either. It is tied to live mail 1 cloud and sync.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

Windows Security Essentials were supplanted by Windows Defender as a "full-function antivirus" with the introduction of Windows 8.  As you've already determined, Windows Security Essentials and Windows Essentials are not linked in any way.

Although I see the minimum system requirement for 1.6 GHz, my suspicion is that this is for the most processing intensive of the programs included in the full Windows Essentials suite.  I wouldn't hesitate to give Windows Live Mail a try as a stand alone installation to see if it works.  The worst you can be faced with is uninstalling it.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

I did a custom install, I noticed that one cloud and picture it/movie maker I  had no option to not install. No big deal really unless the movie maker part uses a lot of resources, since I do not watch or make movies or videos on here I will never know lol.

Speaking of other windows components I have never installed any of those either.  Are any of those recommended or necessary?

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

Did you reset Thunderbird view to UNCHECK Message Pane?

I use eM Client for my ISP email. Free edition for me, which will support only 2 email accounts.

If you want to add more than 2 you will have to purchase it.

In answer to your question if the setting changed I did not change it.  I reinstalled thunderbird and find no option to do anything with preview pane at the moment.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

I did a custom install, I noticed that one cloud and picture it/movie maker I  had no option to not install. No big deal really unless the movie maker part uses a lot of resources, since I do not watch or make movies or videos on here I will never know lol.

Speaking of other windows components I have never installed any of those either.  Are any of those recommended or necessary?

Sorry, but then you weren't paying close attention.  You can choose to install, or not install, each and every program that's included in Windows Essentials.  I've done this on several different machines now running Windows 7 and Windows 10.  In my specific cases, it was an install of only the Windows Live Mail e-mail client .

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

. . . I reinstalled thunderbird and find no option to do anything with preview pane at the moment.

You can definitely choose to use the preview pane or not. It is on by default since most people do like to use it. Do a search on Preview Pane in Thunderbird help to find where that settings related to the Preview Pane are located.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

I knew you were going to comeback on that. I tried to get a snip but for some reason it would not take.

I had 3 check boxes only. onecloud and picture/movie maker had no box.

Believe me If I would of had a way to keep one cloud off of any computer I own or control it would be gone.

I will check out your suggestion for the preview pane.  I think I need to further clarify that.

Normally preview would only open the e-mail when you clicked on it.  Then it started doing it even if you only highlighted the e-mail.

This was when things really started getting hinky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users