Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen after System Restore No Safe Mode Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 avamcd

avamcd

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

Hopefully I am in the right place and apologies if not as I am a newbie to any kind of forum posting.  I have researched my problem here and found similar situations but nothing that quite fits or has helped.  Here is all the information that I have and the events that have led up to the black screen problem.

Lenovo S510p Touch Laptop running Windows 8.1 which was installed already on computer.

A few weeks ago I upgraded to Windows 10 however it caused some issues with emails, power options, etc. that I didn't have time to figure out so after about 1 week I decided to go back to Windows 8.1 thinking I would wait a few months and try again.

Everything seemed to be running fine at that point except that my laptop would still not "wake up" when opening top.  I did install updates to drivers and Windows critical updates after moving back to 8.1 with no obvious issues.  Until...I received an email that my Outlook emails would not work properly in Windows Live in a couple weeks unless I installed a certain update, so of course I installed the update.  After that every email I received was from an "Unknown Sender" even after I allowed them.  Because I couldn't find an easy fix for this I decided to restore my computer back to before this update was installed and that's where everything went wonky.

After initializing the system restore, the computer said it was working and it may take awhile.  I got busy and after a couple hours looked at the computer and it was just a black screen.  Pushing any keys did not change a thing so I forced a shut down.  Upon restart, the Lenovo name appears with the circle of spinning dots then nothing.  I can move the cursor and see it along with a small twirling blue circle but clicking anywhere on the screen does nothing.

I have tried unplugging the computer, removing battery, removing media in cd holder, pressing Shift on restart, F8, shift and F8, FN and F8, along with F11.  I have forced shut down at least 30 times hoping that a system recovery or something would pop up and CTRL ALT DEL does absolutely nothing.  

I should also mention that I do not have any type of recovery or installation disk but I did back up my files on external hard drive before installing Windows 10 so I'm not too concerned about losing files.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am at a complete loss.  Please note that I am not too computer savvy but can follow directions as long as you use "dummy" language and not technical computer terms.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

In Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, you have to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart to get to the Troubleshooting and then Advanced Startup options which includes System Restore.

If you are lucky enough to have the power icon on the Welcome screen its not too hard.  If it isn't there, its no fun at all.....

Running a normal system restore (not from the Advanced startup) gives malware the ability to reinfect you during the reboot process.  In the advanced startup, you are running a mini-Windows with none of the usual junk loaded.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 avamcd

avamcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

Thank you for your quick reply.  I just tried to restart while holding the shift key down and pressing the power button and after the Lenovo brand with spinning dot circle it went back to the black screen.  Any other suggestions?

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

Did you click the power button then hold down the shift key while you clicked restart?

#5 avamcd

avamcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

No I did the exact opposite, shift key first then power button.

#6 avamcd

avamcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

Just tried power button first then shift key and a very loud tone came out of computer, kind of scared me and I let go of all buttons.  Should I try this again?

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

I am talking about the circle with the vertical line in it on your monitor's display not the power button for the computer. If its there, its in the lower right corner.

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 23 December 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#8 avamcd

avamcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

Sorry for the confusion, I don't have anything on the monitor itself.  The screen is completely black other than showing a cursor when I use the touch pad which quickly disappears.

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

So you don't have any password set. It normally just boots to the Desktop?

#10 avamcd

avamcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:22 PM

Correct.  I believe I signed into my Microsoft account when I first purchased the computer but set it to not require a password (I think) because from then on when I would start the computer it would show my email address for a bit like it was signing me in and then go to desktop.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:22 PM

If it does and you don't get the welcome screen, about all we can try short of getting a Windows 8 DVD is if Winkey+R (Windows key, just like a shift key) gets you a prompt, type rstrui.exe<enter> and pray.  It should bring up the system restore which you should use to undo the last restore.

What is the make and model of the laptop?

And, did it come with 8.0 or 8.1?

#12 avamcd

avamcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:09 PM

It is a Lenovo S510p Touch Ideapad and it did come with 8.1 installed. Should I try the Winkey + R while it is trying to start (while Lenovo logo is still on and circle of dots is still spinning) or wait until it goes to the black screen.  And thank you for being so patient with me!

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:23 PM

When you have the black screen, then wait 5 minutes and try it again.

#14 avamcd

avamcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Will do and let you know, I have to be away from the computer for a bit.

#15 avamcd

avamcd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:41 AM

Unfortunately this did not produce any results.  Do you feel that I could fix this issue if I was able to get a Windows 8.1 disk?  And if so, could you send me in the right direction to obtain that disk? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users