Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can OEM Win 7 be upgraded to Win 10 for free?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 funlover

funlover

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

I have Windows 7 Home Premium OEM and when attempted to download Win 10 and as soon as I click on run it dissappears.  When I go to upgrade in control panel, it only shows Win 7 Professional.  Is there any way around this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

1) You have to have installed SP1 before the 10 upgrade will work.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

2) After SP1 is installed, use the media creation tool to download the 10 upgrade and then run it (preferably from a burned DVD)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (click the Download tool now button)

Yes, Win7 OEM upgrades to 10 just fine and I have already done it numerous times.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

Thanks, will check that out!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

Were I you I would go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool webpage and follow the instructions for downloading and either burning to DVD or making a bootable USB drive and installing Windows 10 Home for a 32-bit or 64-bit computer, depending on which you own.  You might also just try the upgrade now button on that page and see if the online version of the upgrade process will work better than what you downloaded.  However, before you do that I would still recommend that you create bootable upgrade/install media in case that process were to fail in some way.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Brian, will do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users