Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox x64

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moota1514

moota1514

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

Hi can someone tell me what firefox x64 is and is it worth downloading at the moment ive got normal firefox

1_zps9p5yv7rs.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Firefox/win64
Firefox 64-bit version for Windows
Firefox Nightly Builds

Waterfox - The fastest 64-Bit browser on the web
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,627 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

The x64 designation is used for the 64-bit version of virtually any application that has a 32-bit and 64-bit version.  If you see x86 that indicates the 32-bit version and is a notational artifact from the now ancient Intel 8086/8088 era of processors.

A great many 32-bit applications not only run on 64-bit systems, but are preferred.  I have Firefox 43.0.2 (32-bit version) that resides in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox

and I have an AMD-A8 APU, which is a 64-bit processor.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 dedsetmad

dedsetmad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

Quietman 7   .........    If not for the likes of you and a small % of other selfless dudes on the net, this World would be even more bleeped than it is !

:radioactive:  :warrior:  :devil:  :bounce: :killcomp:  Believe me, I don't usually use emoticons but the selection here allowed me to add something to what I was saying.

Mark Skinner (newbie, barely pc literate and stoked to have found an alternative to Whirlpoo....... Sorry, Whirlpool Forums.)

#5 moota1514

moota1514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

The x64 designation is used for the 64-bit version of virtually any application that has a 32-bit and 64-bit version.  If you see x86 that indicates the 32-bit version and is a notational artifact from the now ancient Intel 8086/8088 era of processors.

A great many 32-bit applications not only run on 64-bit systems, but are preferred.  I have Firefox 43.0.2 (32-bit version) that resides in

and I have an AMD-A8 APU, which is a 64-bit processor.

Just had a look and im the same

Dell XPS 15 L502X

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

@ dedsetmad

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I appreciate your taking the time to express your sentiments.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hi guys.

If I upgrade to the new Firefox 43 x64 version, will that break my current add-ons?

Is it best to uninstall the current x32 version first, as I assume the x64 will use the folder "Program Files" and not "Program Files (x86) ?

Thank you so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users